Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a almost 7 month old daughter with a cognitive delay. No diagnosis yet. Anyway I was thinking of giving her some of my Carlson's each day in hopes to boost her brain activity. Is this a good idea? How much would I give her? The adult dose is one tsp. Thanks.

· Registered
56 Posts
Definitely a SUPER idea!!!

I have my neuro-typical 8 mo baby on 1/2 teaspoon per day. I take some myself as well, so he gets some from breastmilk too. Cod liver oil is good for all babies - and pretty much all people. Carlson's is a top brand, as is Nordic Naturals.

For such a youvg baby, I don't know if going higher would be wise or not. I highly recommend getting an appt. with a *good* biomedical dr. to see how you could further help via nutrition / supplements. If you need help with finding one, I could try to help you. Let me know.

I have an older child who has benefited tremendously from cod liver oil. He takes a high dose and has had huge cognitive / behavioral benefits.

HTH

· Registered
441 Posts
Carlson's sells a child version so you do not have to do the math. We have the one with the lemon flavor and my son (will be four in May) loves it.

On a related note, if your child gets enough sun you might want to consider changing to fish oil in the spring and/or summer. CLO has vitamin D in it, which is great for that need, but it is a fat soluble vitamin, meaning you can get too much. Vitamin D is like a hormone in that our body produces it. If you live in a sunny area and get out about three times a week for about 10-15 minutes in the morning or afternoon (not middle of the day when the sun is too strong) then you will make enough. Just be sure to keep track of it with your daughter's doctor if you do give it year round and get sun, too.

· Registered
441 Posts
Our bottle of Carlson's for Kids Cod Liver Oil (lemon flavor, by the way) notes you should consult a physician for children under the age of two. I'm not informed enough to know why that would be; interestingly, they sell Baby Drops of 400 IUs of vitamin D. You could also check a bottle of their fish oil to see if that's okay. You'd get the same Omega-3s without the D. But, that probably has the same note.

For those wondering about doses of this version of CLO, the doses are 1/4 teaspoon for ages two to four and 1/2 teaspoon for age four and older. I can not remember why the one for children is different from the one for adults other than taste. For some reason I think there is something else, so I'd check on those doses for any other version of CLO. I see online that the Carlson's Fish Oil has more Omega-3s, but no A & D, which is good for spring and summer.

I do think it's worth asking your child's physician. My son was two when we started, so that never came up.

· Registered
4,374 Posts
no way would i give a child unde 2 yo fish oil. of course my dad has a deadly fish allergy so i'm extra careful about non-breastmilk fish exposure till age 2. but even for those without a family history of fish allergies, i don't think it's wise to give fish or fish oil before they're at least a year.

i'm also just not big on supplementing babies. i don't see it as much different than vitamin drops. breastmilk has everything baby needs as long as your diet is good.

also not sure if the levels of A and D are appropriate for a baby, esecially since she is already going to be getting it through your breastmilk and diet. for me, that's the way i like my babies and toddlers to get what they need.

but if you have to supplement, maybe try flax oil for the omegas?

just wanted to edit this to add that i'm not anti-CLO at all. in fact i take it and so do my two older kids and i think it is great. i just don't think it's appropriate for a baby.

· Registered
567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
no way would i give a child unde 2 yo fish oil. of course my dad has a deadly fish allergy so i'm extra careful about non-breastmilk fish exposure till age 2. but even for those without a family history of fish allergies, i don't think it's wise to give fish or fish oil before they're at least a year.

i'm also just not big on supplementing babies. i don't see it as much different than vitamin drops. breastmilk has everything baby needs as long as your diet is good.

also not sure if the levels of A and D are appropriate for a baby, esecially since she is already going to be getting it through your breastmilk and diet. for me, that's the way i like my babies and toddlers to get what they need.

but if you have to supplement, maybe try flax oil for the omegas?

just wanted to edit this to add that i'm not anti-CLO at all. in fact i take it and so do my two older kids and i think it is great. i just don't think it's appropriate for a baby.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14668274

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.