Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there giving their child cod liver oil? My DS has Autism Spectrum d/o and I give him 1/4 tsp per day. Does anyone have results? My DS has greatly improved over the past 5-6 months, but we don't know if it's due to this, OT, brushing or listening program therapy.

Would love to hear any comments, feedback.

TIA

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Lots of parents in my support group are doing it with fantastic results. We tried to do it w/my ds, but he had an allergic reaction.
I've heard flax seed oil can have good results as well, but am so leary after the cod liver oil reaction. Have you heard anything about it as an alternative?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sorry I can't find the reference right now (borrowed computer is tempermental), but a recent article, in Scientific American, in the last 6 months or so, talked about sources of omega oils, and their use in mental health. Maybe that could give some direction? Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To Finch:

We use flax in addition. As far as I know, it does not have the same effect as CLO. Do you think your son was allergic b/c of the fish element? I ask b/c the one I use is lemon essence infused and is by Carlson. I wonder if the allergy was to fish or to something else in the oil?

Anyway, there are tons of links about the subject. Here's one comparing flax and CLO: hope it works! I also cut and pasted part of the article

http://www.mercola.com/2003/jan/22/cod_liver_oil.htm

DHA is primarily obtained from fish sources, not plant sources like flax seed. Very little of the omega-3 fat ALA in flax seed oil is converted to DHA. So don't try to achieve the same results by using flax seed oil instead of fish or cod liver oil. While I am a major fan of freshly ground organic flax seeds, you need a high-quality animal source of omega-3 fat to receive its maximum benefits.

I am convinced that it is a lack of omega-3 fats that predisposes children to developing the brain injury from vaccines that results in autism, pervasive developmental delay and ADHD. Always remember omega-3 fats are essential to your, and your children's, health. The best source for omega-3 is fish oil and cod liver oil.

When choosing your fish oil or cod liver oil, it is important to remember that not all brands are the same. In my research -- and in my clinical experience with my patients -- I have found that 1) the liquid form is superior to capsules; 2) that certain brands definitely seem inferior to others; 3) that the Carlson's brand of fish oil/cod liver oil is of exceptional quality and purity. It is likely not the only brand in the world of such high quality, but up to this point it is the only one of such quality that I can recommend, so I now offer Carlson's fish oil and cod liver on Mercola.com; you can also check your local health food store to see if they carry it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I've been giving Parker the Nordic Naturals strawberry caps. I think they help? I was diligent about them for a couple months, then I got lax. Which reminds me, he hasn't had them yet today! Off to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.