Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(First, I don't know if this should be here or elsewhere)

So the more tired I am, the coffee and chocolate I eat. It's a vicious circle. Then I wonder if the caffeine is partly responsible for my son's night wakings (or stay-awakings, I like to call them now).

The "expert" advice about caffeine seems so undecided and I need some motivation to cut them out of my day since just telling myself to do it isn't working.

Do any of you have any theories to how caffeine affects night wakings in babies?

mskgandn

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i don't have much caffeine usually, but one day i had about 2-3 caffeinated drinks in the morning, and for the rest of the day DS was cranky and unable to sleep. oops! since then i've limited myself to no more than one black tea per day and he's been fine with regards to naps. i haven't noticed a difference in his night-time sleep, though - he's up every 1-3 hours, with occasional .5 hour (boo) or 4 hour (yay) stretches.

i haven't noticed a difference with chocolate - but i know when i'm pms'ing dark chocolate and coffee will give me cramps, but milk chocolate doesn't, so there must be some significant amount of caffeine in dark chocolate.

i would try weaning yourself down to 1 cup a day or less and see if it helps...
if not, go right on back to your caffiene, you'll probably need it if cutting it out isn't helping

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh my god maybe that's why my dd doesn't take her afternoon nap anymore!!! I drink a cup of strong Colombian coffee in the morning- but it doesn't affect her nightime sleep at all. So I'm not givin' it up. I think it takes roughly 4 hours for a product to enter the breastmilk, but, you're right, it is confusing b/c they say if you're concerned about your child being allergic to something it can live in your body for two weeks so you have to cut that thing out for two weeks. I have read that caffeine enters the breastmilk in very small amounts, not enough to be concerned about tho. I'd say maybe just don't overdo it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My aunt (who has been a midwife for 30 plus years) told me that drinking no more than 2-3 cups of regular coffee a day (6oz cups...) would be OK when breastfeeding. Every child is different though...I limit my caffeine intake to chocolate (mmmmmmm) and splurge on a decaf "froo-froo" coffee once or twice a week at story time @ Borders!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
There is only one way to find out. Eliminate it for a few days and see if it helps.
Seriously I think that people who are regularly exposed to caffeine build up a tolerance and dont react so much. So a baby who gets caffeine laced breastmilk every day is probably not goign to be affected. But a baby whose mom never drinks caffeine but has an unexpected latte might be up for days.
I myself have been drinking a pot of coffee nearly every day in the 2 years since my twins have been born. (that is a 12 cup pot , sometimes I drink it all, sometimes I drink half) And it does not affect my babies at all.
And when I am done with my morning coffee I usually drink some Dr pepper later in the day too.
Joline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.