Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: i hate being sick ... i have a sore throat ,headache and stuffy nose ..what can we take while BF... i took an airborne (only one ) already today. I have been drinking a ton of liquids... anything else or should I just chug the OJ. Also the pharmacist said only one dose of dayquil a day ..uggh , i just want to do what is best for my baby !
thanks
( i am sure this has been asked before so if their is a thread please link me to it)
:

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you want to keep nursing, avoid anything with pseudoephederine or any sort of decongestant. Decongestants work to dry up mucus producing cells and they DRY up Milk.

My family swears by UMCKA once the cold has hit- aged garlic, rest, andrographis (herb) is also great. None of that has really been researched in reference to breastfeeding (I'm pretty sure Rest is compatible with BF, but nearly impossible to get). I'm curious if anything anybody uses is considered totally safe with BF? anybody?

violet

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
As mentioned, decongestants and antihistamines can reduce milk supply.

Vitamin c in the form of sodium ascorbate will help you fight off the buggers faster. And I would avoid any fever reducers as they will make it last longer.

-Angela

·
Registered
475 Posts
Umcka from Nature's way - It's an herbal tincture from some plant in South Africa I think. I don't remember all the details. It says right on there to check with health care provider if breastfeeding. It certainly works well for us. the kids even love it because it's in a sweet cherry carrier.

As for the sudafed - I hear you mamas - we are all different and some might not notice any effect. But, as my LC friend cautions, for some women a single dose can cause a drop in supply of about 20-30% and start a downward trend that they can't recover from. It's sometimes considered "approved" for nursing because it doesn't transfer enough or effect babe enough, but killing a mom's supply is another thing all together. Just cautionary, certainly many moms take it.

ugh, I hate colds. hope you fell better soon.
Violet

·
Registered
121 Posts
A steam can really clear up congestion. Put just boiled water in a bowl, add a few drops of eucalyptus or rosemary essential oil, cover your head with a towel and hold it over the bowl for as long as is comfortable, come up for air and go for it again. Lots of vitamin C is good. Rose hips and elderberry are good herbal sources. Ginger and lemon tea is great for colds. Orange juice is very sweet so can be mucus promoting. I hope you are well soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.