Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.5 daugher has had a cold sore on her lip that has been there for a year. It is small. And when we moved to our new house I noticed it and then thought, will it will go away on its own, she didn't have a fever and didn't complain about it, so I never thought much about it until my husband pointed it out the other day that it is still there. I feel like an awful mother, not getting it taken care of sooner, but does anyone know about this? Cold sore? It is like a bump on her bottom lip, a little red. and it is hard to see sometimes...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpienkos View Post
My 3.5 daugher has had a cold sore on her lip that has been there for a year. It is small. And when we moved to our new house I noticed it and then thought, will it will go away on its own, she didn't have a fever and didn't complain about it, so I never thought much about it until my husband pointed it out the other day that it is still there. I feel like an awful mother, not getting it taken care of sooner, but does anyone know about this? Cold sore? It is like a bump on her bottom lip, a little red. and it is hard to see sometimes...
i dont think thats a cold sore. i get cold sores at least once a year, and they last like a max of 14 days, whether i put abreva on it or not. i think that your dd has something else that may look like a cold sore....but imo i dont think its a cold sore.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have to agree with the pp...maybe more like a pimple/ingrown hair/infected pore around her lip area? I know i get big blackheads/red pimples around my mouth sometimes, the pores there just seem to be really big? Or some other sort of skin issue?
cold sores do NOT stick around for a year....they blister, crust over, and then heal. It *is* possible, and likely to keep getting recurring sores in the same area, but again, you would notice the blister, crust over, heal pattern, it would not just stay red for a year.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would suggest getting it checked out. I'm not a doctor, but I immediately thought of a staph infection....

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
We have the same thing! DH is convinced it's a cold sore bt I'm not so sure. I know what you mean about it not being visible all the time....almost like it has periods of being more irritated and that's when you can see it. DD is 2 and it's been about a year as well. It doesn't bother her so we've never done anything about it.
:

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Hmm doubtful for us, not sure about the OP. DD's looks more like a zit on the verge of coming up (you know the slightly swollen area, red, tight looking) when it's more visible. Most of the time it looks like she might have bitten her lip and the swelling is going away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.