Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>OY!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have been getting cold sore after cold sore for the last 2 months.  The problem is that I do not get them on my lips - I get them on my FACE!!  On my cheeks, chin and near my mouth, just not on it.  I have been getting them since childhood and have had them cultured several times so I know it is herpes simplex A.  They are PAINFUL and ugly!!!  When not preggers, I take Valtrex and that greatly helps with shortening the length of infection and recurrence.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Alas, I do not want to take the Valtrex now with the pregnancy.  I have been taking lysine regularly.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Not sure what else to do.  Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
911 Posts
<p>Lavender oil, neat, applied three times a day. Steam the sores gently with a hot washcloth in the shower and while you shouldn't try to pop them, sometimes you can gently "coax" them into popping.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>~Rose</p>

·
Registered
366 Posts
<p>I put rubbing alcohol on them to dry them out and they go away really fast.  Sounds harsh, but just a drop on a q-tip does the trick.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, if you're getting a lot it usually means your system can't keep up/sick.  Lots of rest, nourishing food and some sunshine can help too :)</p>

·
Registered
159 Posts
<p>My midwives said that lemon balm powder applied to a herpes sore will help it heal. I opted to continue using Valtrex, personally. I hope you find something that helps!</p>

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>I am hoping that my immune system will bounce back as soon as I can start eating and exercising again.  This first trimester really hit me hard - the nausea has been so overwhelming and I have not been able to practice good health in any way.  In the last couple of days, I have noticed an increase in my appetite and a decrease in the nausea so hopefully things will be getting back to normal soon!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will try the lavander and lemon balm.  If I get another one after this outbreak, I think I will consider taking the Valtrex again.  This is my 5th one in 2 months and I can't live with them anymore!</p>

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
<p>If I take l-lysine everyday, they stay away.  When I slack on that, they always come back. So, when they do, I take a loading dose of 3 l-lysine capsules and then, one a day after that.</p>

·
Registered
260 Posts
<p>I get outbreaks on my chin too, and I use tea tree oil, applied as soon as I feel the "tingle" of an eminent outbreak. Usually keeps the sore from developing at all. I started using straight tea tree oil, but for convenience I use the Desert Essence "blemish stick," its a little glass bottle with a "roll-on" applicator, and also has lavender oil, which I assumed wouldn't do any harm, but from the PP looks like it might actually be beneficial as well.</p>

·
Registered
377 Posts
<p>Hi - Just chiming in here because I am in my first trimester and have already gotten a cold sore at the corner of my mouth (seems that's where I always get them!).  I usually use abreva and it gets rid of them before they really show, is abreva not safe during pregnancy?  If it's not, I may have to start using lavender oil.  I also second the votes for l-lysine.  I don't take it all the time, but if I feel a cold sore coming on, it really seems to help!</p>

·
Registered
911 Posts
<p>No, it's safe. I just hate how expensive it is and it burns my lips. Lavender oil is much cheaper and works just as well for some people, so give it a shot!</p>
<p><br>
~Rose</p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<p>Lavender is a uterine stimulant and should NEVER be used during pregnancy. It can give contractions early on causing a miscarriage or later in pregnancy causing an early delivery. ( I joined this site just to respond to this. So many think lavender is safe but not during pregnancy.)</p>

·
Registered
63 Posts
<p>A dab of natural toothpaste (paste, not gel!) over the sore once or twice when it's breaking out works for most people I know.  GL!</p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts