Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a child who is partially vaxed. She had a religious exemption through high school but she will soon go to college in Maryland. Has anyone had experience with a religious exemption for college in MD (or in any other state)? Maryland has a law requiring meningitis vax, but you can sign a waiver if you don't want to get it.
There are no forms for a religious exemption for college that I've been able to find. How does she do this? Does she write down her personal religious beliefs in a letter to her college health department and then get it notarized? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I had found the waiver for meningitis, which DD has signed, but I cannot find any forms for a religious exemption for college students in MD. DD is only partly vaxed, so she wants to sign a religious exemption so she's not forced to get seven or eight shots!

I was wondering if any other parents had children who have religious exemptions at their colleges. It would be helpful to know how you did it. Since Maryland doesn't have a form (that I can find), then DD can write her own, I guess? Does she have to get it notarized? Can the college refuse it? Can they call DD in and question her about it? (She's very shy and easily intimidated, so I wouldn't want that to happen to her.)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Thank you. I had found the waiver for meningitis, which DD has signed, but I cannot find any forms for a religious exemption for college students in MD. DD is only partly vaxed, so she wants to sign a religious exemption so she's not forced to get seven or eight shots!

I was wondering if any other parents had children who have religious exemptions at their colleges. It would be helpful to know how you did it. Since Maryland doesn't have a form (that I can find), then DD can write her own, I guess? Does she have to get it notarized? Can the college refuse it? Can they call DD in and question her about it? (She's very shy and easily intimidated, so I wouldn't want that to happen to her.)

Thanks!
I don't know about MD, but the only vaccine my school cared about was meningitis. The waiver should be fine.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I don't think this is a Maryland issue. Maryland requires only meningococcal vaccination for college with an easy opt-out. http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/maryland.aspx

It sounds like the college itself may have its own policy requiring full vaccination with no exemptions. @zoomom11 can you find the school's policy in writing? By "fully vaccinated," which vaccines do they have in mind? No doctor will give your 18-year-old early childhood vaccines like HIB and rotavirus.

Also, it's kind of crappy that you're not learning about this until now. Does your daughter start classes in the Fall? Did you get notice of this vaccine policy earlier on?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would find out the specifics for the school but when I went to UMCP, they gave me a waiver to sign with an option for declining (and I lived on campus). This was a decade ago so things may have changed but I remember it clearly..
I would call up the admissions office and ask how you decline the vaccine requirements and see what they say-- don't ask if you can, ask what you need to do to decline as you have an exemption.
I was fully vaccinated so I can't speak for the other vaccines or exemptions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts