Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the normal color of a small child's (ds is 15 months) head of the penis a purple-ish red color? Like the same color a newborn who *was* circumsized's head of the penis is?

I ask because ds has a diaper rash,
and I just noticed it is on his penis as well (only a little). He has a long foreskin (well I dunno, I've never been responsible for the care of a penis with a foreskin before, maybe its totally average! :LOL), and I wanted to make sure it wasn't worse on the part of the foreskin that wraps inside (BEFORE its attached to the head) because he's gotten a small ring of a bad rash there before when I didn't know what I could visually see wasn't where it attached to the head, that once I noticed it and wiped it down at every diaper change and put a tad bit of zinc oxide on cleared up quickly. So anyways, I gently pulled back (again I stress, not to the point of ANY sort of retraction, just to gently pull the foreskin a little more taunt to see if he had a rash where I couldn't see) and because the hole (I KNOW there is a specific term for that, the band of tissue that is at the tip of the foreskin, but don't remember it) has enlarged, just naturally not from anything I did, I could see just a bit of the head of his penis. And it is that purplish-red color. I just wanted to check to see if that's normal. I'd hate to think this stupid diaper rash is *there*!

So um, I'm kinda guessing, hoping, it is the normal color for a child his age with a still attached foreskin, but I just wanted to be really sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Both of my boys had (have, I suppose) a purplish-red glans.

Reminds me of a funny....

When my youngest was about 4, I noticed while he was bathing that the tip of his foreskin looked a bit red and irritated. But right after I noticed, he turned away to do something in the tub. I said, "Adam, is your penis getting red?" He stopped, pulled back his foreskin, and said "Nope, it's still purple."

:LOL :LOL :LOL

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol! Ok I feel much better! That is so funny
Orion has been OBSESSED with his penis today, I've been letting him run around diaperless and just sticking him in a prefold every 40 minutes or so to pee, and the rest of the time he is just *clutching* his penis, yanking it this way and that, its his favorite new toy!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think its adorable, and its giving me LOTS of time to get use to saying 'penis' with a straight face (I want to giggle everytime I say it like a little kid or something). Like "that's your penis" or when Dh gets all freaked out and tells him to stop yanking on his 'thing' so hard, I say "oh honey, its HIS penis, he won't hurt himself". I'm big on wanting to use the proper terms for genitalia (hey even if I can spell it!), I'm just glad I have a boy and don't have to weigh all the words and conotations and familiarity that all the names for female parts (Yoni, accurate, but kinda woo-woo by some, vagina, familiar, but not *really* the name for everything, and really who wants to be a sheath?, naming specific parts, kinda maybe confusing?)... well until he starts asking about it at least! LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.