Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a laundry incident. I'm pretty sure it came from a dark blue cotton shirt. Does anyone know how to make it colorfast so it won't happen again, or how to get the blue stains off other clothes?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
If the blue cotton shirt is new, then the excess dye will slowly release with each washing. Try hand washing it several times in cold water and when you go back to the washer, always wash in cold water with like colors.<br><br>
If multiple washings doesn't or hasn't worked (shirt is not new or after you wash it multiple times it still bleeds), then use white vinegar. I've forgotten the exact steps, so google it or perhaps someone else will post it here.<br><br>
Getting the blue out of the other clothes depends. Did you already dry them in the dryer? If yes, then you basically set the stains and I don't know a reliable way to remove the blue. If no, then you can wash them all again (without the offending item, of course) and use extra detergent and pre-soak, pre-wash, and use the second rinse option. That has worked for me under these circumstance, but it will depend on how much dye has transferred.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts