Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good place to buy some non commercial coloring books. I don't want anymore Dora or Thomas the Train etc.... I got a great one off of Magic Cabin once of the Root Children book, but that has been the only one I have found. My kids love to sit and color and I was thinking of stocking stuffers for christmas.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used to love to print out pages from National Geographic for kids for my son. I always have a stack of paper that's been printed on one side from my office, pin them together with a big binder clip and take it home. I'm sure you could do it in a better looking way.

This year, we just bought a home and will be poor for Christmas, and ds loves word searches. So I'm thinking about making a bunch of word searches on topics he's interested in and printing them out to make my own activity books for him.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The dollar store has them for $1-2. They're cheap, generic, and perfect for younger kids who can scribble through 5 pages in ten minutes!

I have found really cheap generic ones at the wall-mart check-out as well.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discount coloring books are almost always non-character-related - the dollar store ones, or the ones in the bargain bin at craft stores.

You could also look online for coloring pages and print them.

Or draw your own pictures to color in.

Or just draw without coloring in somebody else's drawing, just doodle!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
My dd LOVES the Dot-Art coloring books. They are technically for those Dot-Art marker things, but dd just uses crayons or markers. I can only find them at educational supply stores and non-Toys R Us type toy stores though, plus they are $5 a piece. Something about them really captures Dds attention though - she will color for a looooong time if she has one of those.

·
Registered
661 Posts
at the other end of the economic scale from the dollar store are some super-duper hip coloring books I saw at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, sorry, their website doesn't list them. They were $20, huge, and so cool the whole family would want to color.

I found something similar at the Museum of Modern Art online store. This looks fun. $$$$, but fun.

And check out this one out on Amazon. They even show you an excerpt. They seem to have a lot of sea themed coloring books on Amazon.

Not coloring, but compelling. A Matisse Cut-Out Book.

Here's some Arthur coloring pages from pbskids.go , woops, maybe too character related?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You can get a lot of nice coloring pages at www.dltk.com (the have some character stuff but some regular stuff also, all according to season or holiday)
word searches I do at www.puzzlemaker.com

I just printed out a bunch of stuff for the gang of girls coming tomorrow for
Thanksgiving. I reuse paper from work so basically free. You could put them in a cute binder to make a nice gift.

Kathryn

·
Registered
661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JR'smama777 View Post
...So I'm thinking about making a bunch of word searches on topics he's interested in and printing them out to make my own activity books for him.

You are a cool and thoughtful mom!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not sure if anybody mentioned this, but I always liked the "Anti-Coloring Books" as a kid (just do a search for anti-coloring book on amazon and you will find them. There is a whole series of them and they are lots of fun.. even for adults!

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eldadeedlit View Post
Not sure if anybody mentioned this, but I always liked the "Anti-Coloring Books" as a kid (just do a search for anti-coloring book on amazon and you will find them. There is a whole series of them and they are lots of fun.. even for adults!

My kids LOVE the anti-coloring books, and so do I. I've carefully stored them when the kids are done, because they are so awesome and I'm sure the kids will love looking through them when they are older.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the puzzlemaker link! I've had a ball creating word searches for ds on my own, but now I'm really looking forward to creating some on this site for my mom for Christmas. She'll love it!!

I may even create more for friends/teachers I give small gifts to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts