Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been able to squeeze colostrum out of my breasts for a few months now.. im due in 2 weeks..im just wondering how much i should have at this point. one side
(my bigger more favored boob by my son) i can squeeze out a lot! but the other side i can only get a tiny drop or two.. i guess it concerns me because i had troubles breastfeeding my son at first ( he had tongue tie and it wasnt diagnosed for a while) and my milk supply was VERY low for the first while ( until i took domperidone for a few months). i nursed him for 2 + years and my milk supply did get better, but i guess i worry that im going to have the same problems again ( although im going to check for tongue tie as soon as baby is born this time)..

so i guess my question is should i have a ton of colostum at this point? or not .. and does the amount of it have anything to do with how abundant your milk supply will be?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hugs to you for being so conscientious!

Lots of women have no colostrum until the babe is born. If you're concerned about the supply in that breast, I would just try to make sure you offer that one first for a little while until they both seem even. But I'll bet once your milk comes in it won't be an issue at all.

You're savvy now about tongue-tie, just remember to be savvy about other nursing problems, too. LC's are usually wonderful, and I personally believe that every newborn should be evaluated by a speech language pathologist within his/her first couple of days of life.

You really are going to do well at this, and if your baby sucks right, your body will respond. Your supply issues weren't your fault, they were b/c your baby couldn't stimulate you well during that critical 'breaking-in' period.

Good Luck!
-Lindsay

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks momma

anyone else have any info/input?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I agree. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Some women cannot express any colustrum before the birth. I never had a whole lot with ds, just a few drops here and there. Since your supply problems last time were related to the tongue tie and you were able to get your supply back up, I would say things will be fine.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I had NO colostrum before my first dd was born and had absolutely no problem nursing her whatsoever. My second dd I could express only a little colostrum and I was worried because she was a month and a half premature. Immediately after she was born and they took her away, my milk let down on both sides and drenched my hospital gown. Or more specifically, my colostrum let down and POURED out. It was probably a hormone surge combined with an emotional reaction to my baby being rushed out before I got to hold her but I was SOAKED! But we've overcome many obstacles and have been nursing for 9 1/2months and are still going strong. No intentions of stopping and basically NO solids yet. Very very little solids. She's a boobie baby! So I really don't think that being able to or not able to express colostrum before the birth means very much.

Meg

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I had alot of colostrum when preg with Dd. Then when I was preg with Ds I had almost none. Once he was born though, I had milk coming out my ears

It was totally not an accurate indicator for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.