Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay..take a deep breath fern!

im knitting some longies and im going
: ive had to frog them about 10 times.. i dont even know why.. maybe im thinking too much..

anyways im onto the short rows finally but i realise that the 3 skeins of the colour that i got for them are all totally different and im freaking out!! will it look totally terrible if i just knit it up till the first ball is done and start on a new ball (that is different) or should i do wide stripes with the different ones? its greens and browns and not hugely different, but different enough... i really want these to be perfect and im woried its going to look weird.
help!!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Ah, I've had this problem with Malabrigo. I know you're not in a redoing mood, but I would rip out and then alternate balls. I have a project I did not redo and it is very noticeable to me.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I wouldn't do wide stripes. I'd either alternate rows, or else I'd start a new skein at the top of each leg, knit for 50g worth and then change yarns again.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
except that im already half done.. maybe ill start now? so at least when i run out of the first ball it wont be a sudden change? s

so how do you knit with 2 balls without it getting totally messy? o you cary the other yarn like you would with colourwork?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
What I did on the longies I'm working on was place a stitch marker, and join each ball at the same place, different rounds. When I wanted to switch, I transferred the yarn from my right hand to my left, picked up the new strand of yarn, pulled the last stitch of the previous round taut and knitted the first stitch of the next round, catching the yarn in. It does leave a small seam, but it's a very neat and tidy one.
I'm trying to figure this one out myself- I bought some beautiful organic merino from hipknits, which hasn't yet arrived but they normally have quite drastic differences between skeins. I don't want to alternate all the way down, but I don't want it to look crap either.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trying to understand....
:
ill have to do it to get it but im nak..

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
What I did on the longies I'm working on was place a stitch marker, and join each ball at the same place, different rounds. When I wanted to switch, I transferred the yarn from my right hand to my left, picked up the new strand of yarn, pulled the last stitch of the previous round taut and knitted the first stitch of the next round, catching the yarn in. It does leave a small seam, but it's a very neat and tidy one.
I'm trying to figure this one out myself- I bought some beautiful organic merino from hipknits, which hasn't yet arrived but they normally have quite drastic differences between skeins. I don't want to alternate all the way down, but I don't want it to look crap either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts