Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to pump a little and only get about 1 oz at a time once my baby is done eating. Can I keep the milk in the fridge and add to it through out the day so I am atleast freezing 3 oz's at a time in one bag, then freezing it that evening? My mw thought the ratio of front to hind milk would be off then, but doesn't know if it's really a big deal. TIA!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
You just need to make sure the milk is at the same temperature when you combine them. If you add warm milk to stuff already in your fridge, it will go off rather spectacularly. Likewise if you are freezing milk, refrigerate new stuff and then add it to the already frozen, otherwise the warm milk will partially thaw what you've already frozen and spoil it.

ETA: the ratio of hindmilk - foremilk is not a really big deal. If you think about it, when will your little one be getting the frozen milk? If it's supplementing after a feed, hindmilk is what you want anyway. If it's in place of a feed, you're going to be engorged with a whole lot of foremilk from skipping a feed afterwards anyway so again, it makes sense to give mostly hindmilk with a bottle.

·
Registered
984 Posts
As far as safety goes, I'm pretty sure you can keep a container in the fridge and add to it throughout the space of a single day, as long as you freeze it all that night. As far as an imbalance, it seems like doing it at the end of feeding would give you mainly hind milk. But I'm no expert. When I have pumped I always nursed ds on one side and pumped from the other- that's the limit of my experience.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I pumped while I'm away from ds for work, and I do try to even out foremilk/hindmilk by mixing all the cold milk together then freezing because there are times that I can only pump for a few minutes and get all foremilk and then there are times when I pump for a good long while and get lots of hindmilk too.

It's fine to refrigerate milk throughout the day, then mix and freeze. I've even done this over a 2 day period too.

Refigerated milk stays good for 10 days (according to LLL), so I would think mixing a few days worth and then freezing would be fine. (it has been for us.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts