Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had another reason to stay home, except for church and groceries (pretty much).

At a restaurant on the way to today's prenatal appointment:
"You're so big!"
What I said: polite smile
What I could have said: Look, the baby's the one sticking out - I'm really not that big.

"You're sure you're only having one?"
What I said: Yes.
What I could have said: Yes, multiple ultrasounds have confirmed only one baby - thanks be to God, it's easier that way!

"She looks like she's ready to pop."
What I said: Hopefully she'll wait another two weeks or so.
What I could have said: Not yet. See, we're in the restaurant on the way to the clinic, not in the drive thru on the way to the hospital. (though that could backfire because sometimes going inside the restaurant is faster than waiting in drive thru)

Feel free to share yours, and no, you don't have to be nice...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just wanted to share the opposite side.

I didn't show at all till 6-7months.

Are you sure you're pregnant?
Is the baby growing much?

At 9 months:
You're only nine months!

She's gonna be so tiny!

You're only the size of a vollyball.

I tried telling a few close friends about how when you're in shape with a tight core, it takes longer for things to stretch and everyone carries differently. My comeback was more when she was born on time and just under 8lbs. Why can't we just talk about things other than size lol. People are funny though. There must be some preprogrammed idea of what isn't too small or big in people's mind.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, so glad I'm not the kind of person who offends easily. I've heard all of the above comments this time and then some, which is a bit shocking, but not bothering me. My 1st two were in France though, so maybe it was because as a foreigner I didn't talk much to strangers. Once the baby was born, on the other hand, no one could shut it with the parenting advice! Lol.
Some that I've recently heard: "you sure look like you've got a basketball in there" "torpedo belly" and "oh my, how many babies?"
My MIL also noticed some Japanese tourist girls staring and giggling at me as if they'd never seen a pregnant woman before.
I don't have any good comebacks, I just laugh them off. Love reading about them though!

·
Registered
368 Posts
At a restaurant on the way to today's prenatal appointment:
"You're so big!"
What I said: polite smile
What I could have said: Look, the baby's the one sticking out - I'm really not that big.

"You're sure you're only having one?"
What I said: Yes.
What I could have said: Yes, multiple ultrasounds have confirmed only one baby - thanks be to God, it's easier that way!

"She looks like she's ready to pop."
What I said: Hopefully she'll wait another two weeks or so.
What I could have said: Not yet. See, we're in the restaurant on the way to the clinic, not in the drive thru on the way to the hospital. (though that could backfire because sometimes going inside the restaurant is faster than waiting in drive thru)

Feel free to share yours, and no, you don't have to be nice...

:rotflmao That's hysterical! I'll have to remember that one, "the baby's sticking out, I'm not really that big!" And the "we're not on the way to the hospital" one too! I get those comments All. The. Time. and it gets so old.

I've had comments like: "Wow, you must be due any minute!"
My reply: "Well, not really, they say I've got a couple more weeks...but I don't see how!"

From my 99yo grandmother: "Your cousin's wife just had twins...funny, she didn't look much bigger than you. And those were big twins, almost 5 and 6 lbs. Are you sure there's just one in there?"
Me: "*sigh* Yes, grandma. Let's hope he's not 11 lbs!"

Some people are shocked that we'd choose to have baby #5 - so I've gotten plenty of the tired old "You DO know how this happens, right?" My favorite comeback is to say with a wicked grin, "Yes, we've figured that out by now - we just can't seem to stop doing it!" That usually either embarrasses them enough to shut them up, or gets a good hearty laugh.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
them - "how much longer??"
me - 2 weeks
them - So any day??
me - haha, smile
what i want to say - no. 2 weeks.

not that funny but i'm just so over it.

i feel smaller this time, i've gained less weight - yet i am constantly getting comments for the last 2 months about twins, popping, any day etc. i thought by having #5 that people would be too busy counting my kids to make dumb comments..

Reactions: Catholic Mama

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think people honestly don't realise how enormous pregnant people get. I've noticed that throughout this pregnancy. All at the beginning when I was getting to 20 weeks, 22 weeks, people would wonder where the baby was. Then I kind of exploded and suddenly people were thinking I was going to pop any second. They don't realise that you start out big, and then you just get bigger. It's a whole other person in there ffs!

Just some of the nuances of pregnancy that a lot of people don't understand, I guess. 9 months is a LONG TIME to grow another person inside of your body. People just figure that once you're big, it's almost over. Oh no. Oh nononono. You get big and then the critter just keeps. on. growing. Forever. (Well, it seems like forever anyway. I've been pregnant so long that I forgot why I wanted another baby.)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
me - 2 weeks
them - So any day??
me - haha, smile

i feel smaller this time, i've gained less weight - yet i am constantly getting comments for the last 2 months about twins, popping, any day etc. i thought by having #5 that people would be too busy counting my kids to make dumb comments..
One comment I felt good about was when my F-I-L asked me if I'm (some number way over 200 pounds). I said no! I've never been over 200. I don't even weight as much as I did with my first, when I was up over 180. She was my biggest baby so far. So I feel pretty good that I am still a healthy weight, and I wonder if he said a number that high because he is big, too (though not temporarily like me).

I know what you mean about wanting it to be two weeks, not any day now!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
me - 2 weeks
them - So any day??
me - haha, smile

In fairness, TECHNICALLY two more weeks IS any day now. If pregnancy is a range from 38-42 weeks, 38 falls in that range. But I totally hear you on wanting to be adamant about your specific due date. I've been holding myself back from saying "any time now" when asked, because I am familiar with the harassment that comes when people think it's time while not realising it's a MONTH LONG range of dates that are "any time now". Oh those calls and stares and gasps at the end are so infuriating for a pregnant woman who's tired of being that way.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
In fairness, TECHNICALLY two more weeks IS any day now. If pregnancy is a range from 38-42 weeks, 38 falls in that range. But I totally hear you on wanting to be adamant about your specific due date. I've been holding myself back from saying "any time now" when asked, because I am familiar with the harassment that comes when people think it's time while not realising it's a MONTH LONG range of dates that are "any time now". Oh those calls and stares and gasps at the end are so infuriating for a pregnant woman who's tired of being that way.
I think part of my issue is that I have 4 babies and I don't deliver at 38 weeks typically, my last baby was born ON his due date (the one before that was 2 days 'late' one before that was a week late etc. ) AND my midwife is out of town this week, so no, i will be holding this baby in thankyouverymuch (that is directed toward all these people that ask, not you ;) ) once 39+1 hits and my midwife is back in town and i hopefully don't have a house full of sick kids i may accept these types of "any day now" comments. ..

I've had way less comments by not leaving the house so i think i'm going to keep this up as long as possible ;)

Reactions: Catholic Mama

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I hear you. Keep that baby in until go time. My previous two have both come with in two days of their due dates and it is driving me crazy to be so close to the end, knowing that this babe COULD come any time now but, in all likelihood, won't.

I too avoid the comments by not leaving the house. My husband has done all the grocery shopping for the past month :)love) so I get to avoid the stares and questions for the most part. The last time I was at a store, I definitely felt the eyes. What gets me the most is those people who get that weird grin on their face when they see me. I realise I look like Violet Beauregarde without the blue color, but sheesh, people. That grin is CREEPY.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for making me laugh Incubator! Not that it's funny for you when people grin at you, but it was funny to read about.

I'm so happy with my baby daughter for staying in through my in-laws' (our main babysitters for the birth and most everything else) cruise. They'll be home this time tomorrow, and the baby shower is Sunday afternoon so after that I'll lift the restriction on my husband and the rest of the family for singing "Happy birthday to you" to her, which they (especially DH) apparently think is hilarious to sing to our baby, whether we're ready for her to come or not...

Yay for staying home! I enjoy grocery shopping, though - get more exercise there than at home these days, and when DH doesn't come I don't have to buy as much junk, I can fill up the cart with good healthy food, not to mention talking to adults here and there - but staying home definitely has its benefits!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At least my husband understands about how big we need to get before baby is born. I started telling him that he'll be surprised by how small our daughter is when she is born, after seeing me so big, and a few days ago he looked at my big belly for a minute and realized that I really do need to get that big for her to be newborn size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts