Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD has become a huge fan of comfort nursing. She nurses her normal time and then burps or changes sides then just does what I think is comfort nursing. Nipple not really in mouth and not really sucking all that hard. Feels more like she is pinching my nipple. But, it hurts and it goes on and on. I feel bad when I unlatch her and sometimes she wakes up but most of the time she doesn't. Is there a way to get her to latch on like she is really nursing? If it gets her to sleep and there is no other way then will continue let her do it. But, golly it hurts...I also put this in BFing forum wasn't sure where it belonged.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I would encourage you to work with her on staying latched on correctly, which would mean unlatching her if she starts to slip off or to find another way to get her to sleep -rocking, patting, etc. I'm not opposed to nursing to sleep but bad latch can become a hard habit to break.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My dd born Jan can have the same painful latch when comfort nursing. I try to get her off as soon as she is sleeping soundly. If I move a bit to wake her up slightly she gets a good latch again but it just moves the inevitable back! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Once it starts hurting I unlatch her- not because I'm worried about the bad latch (she's a good nurser, no concerns here at 4 months) but because she's mostly asleep at that point, and having a nipple in her mouth is keeping her from going into a deep sleep. She sucks enough to keep it in her mouth, but not enough to get anything out, and if she feels it falling out she gives an almighty slurp to try to get it back in and THAT hurts like crazy! In most cases if I take her off as soon as she starts doing that half in-half out thing then she'll stay asleep. And in some cases if she wakes up, she'll fuss for 10 seconds (literally), turn her head away from me and go back to sleep.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
I would encourage you to work with her on staying latched on correctly, which would mean unlatching her if she starts to slip off or to find another way to get her to sleep -rocking, patting, etc. I'm not opposed to nursing to sleep but bad latch can become a hard habit to break.
I think this is the best idea, but if you're lazy sometimes your nipples will be able to handle more and more before it hurts. I have "nipples of steel" now :)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yiskah64 View Post
I think this is the best idea, but if you're lazy sometimes your nipples will be able to handle more and more before it hurts. I have "nipples of steel" now :)
Yeah I think DD does this all the time but it feels like nibbles and doesn't hurt so oh well.

IMO they do it b/c they don't want milk. I can't imagine that promoting a better latch will make for a happy baby. Maybe try a paci?

·
Registered
139 Posts
DD does the exact same thing. In fact, I'm nursing a very sore nipple right now from a rough night last night filled with much comfort sucking. I, too, usually try to slip it out of her mouth once she's asleep and, even though I feel guilty when I do it, she almost never notices. But when she has a night like last night, when she's up almost every hour, there is a lot more comfort sucking than normal and my poor nipples can't handle.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I was at the LLL conference in MA last week and this topic sort of came up with one of the speakers....Her point was when breastfeeding and you are wondering when to start or end the nursing you can adhere to two rules...

"1. baby initiates
2. Mama Terminates"

It made so much sense to me and made me feel much less guilty about popping her off for what ever reason. As long as you always nurse the baby when they ask you can always pop them off when you feel the need. If they ask to nurse again at that point you do so. It just made so much sense to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.