Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am wondering if you have gone through this???my daughter is 2.5 and I am due with baby boy in 3 weeks I have had no milk supply for 9 months now but DD still nurses all the time, while watching tv, and often through the night??? Does this constant nursing effect my let down for the new babe??and do you consider this time to wean if there is no milk now for her for almost a year??? I am just curious if you have expierenced this too?????

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We are going through the same thing - my DD (2 yrs) is still nursing constantly even though she hasnt gotten anything for at least 4 months (since Ive been a few months pregnant).

I dont think it is time for her to wean if she is still wanting to nurse! I sometimes think about weaning DD but shes not even close to being ready and I am kindof excited about tandem nursing! She is probably just not getting any milk because you are pregnant. I know that my milk supply decreased drastically when I was 2 or 3 months along and it still hasnt picked back up.

I dont know about your other question, but I found some great info about nursing through pregnancy on the La Leche League website so maybe that will help you too.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Yes, I did, with my last pregnancy. When ds3 was born dd2 was elated and kept saying "there's milk again, there's milk again" :LOL She's still happily nursing at nearly 4 yrs old. I'm pg again and will probably go through this with her and her brother again!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My 3 year old still asks. I tell her I have no more milk, and she says " I know, dats ok mama..."
As far as your pg- you will(are) produce colostrum and it will be there until the placenta is birthed signaling new milk production to begin.
Peace,

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
My milk dried up during my last pregnancy and it didn't slow dd (then 2.5) down a bit. She was really excited when the milk came in though! :LOL It didn't effect anything with the new baby's nursing or my letdown. There was just plenty of milk for everyone.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My oldest dd nursed through my pregnancy and my milk dried up around 15 weeks. She didn't miss a beat and kept on nursing. Her baby sis is 2.5 months now and she is still thrilled that my milk came back.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not pg, but noticing that at 26 months, DS doesn't seem to be getting much milk. He nurses only once a day, at bedtime. I Dragged out the old Isis pump out of curiosity; pumped 1 oz in 40 minutes (both sides).
So, now that I know it isn't really for the milk, I can get out of nursing him (sorry, I am not a saintly BFer who loves nursing my toddler anymore) by having him say night-night nipples and giving them a little kiss or hug. I am hoping this is the first step toward his weaning. So I would say that if you have a feeling you'd like to wean; let this be a start. If not, you can do what previous posts mentioned; when the baby comes your boobs will be back in business.
all the best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts