Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you make pads soaked in comfrey for after your birth? If so, how did you do it?
My mom and I did frozen gauze soaked in comfrey for use after ds1s birth but they froze funny and were really uncomfortable. I want to use comfrey again but want to make sure I am doing it right

TIA
April

· Registered
2,710 Posts
I was just going to use a poultice of the leaves.

Maybe the problem was the gauze? Try a softer material, cotton fleece or flannel, and make sure you boil the leaves to get a good concentration.

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Or was it the shape that was the problem? I've heard of people draping the wet pads over a bowl in the freezer so they freeze in sort of a body shape.

My midwife also recommends something called a comfrey burn paste made of comfrey leaf powder and honey and . . . something else that really aids in healing. She asked me to have the ingredients on hand for our birth.

· Registered
1,409 Posts
I used a mixture of comfrey infusion and wichhazel, you know that alcohol stuff that you usually find in the cosmetics area? the alcohol makes sure that they freeze kind of squishy rather than a block. You could just use a bit of spirits if you cant get the witchhazel.

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I was just going to use a poultice of the leaves.
Is a poultice just making a paste?

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Or was it the shape that was the problem? I've heard of people draping the wet pads over a bowl in the freezer so they freeze in sort of a body shape.

My midwife also recommends something called a comfrey burn paste made of comfrey leaf powder and honey and . . . something else that really aids in healing. She asked me to have the ingredients on hand for our birth.
I think it very may well have been the shape. I can't remember exactly how we did it but I remember some sharp places, maybe edges. I think we will try to do the bowl idea this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by battymama View Post
I used a mixture of comfrey infusion and wichhazel, you know that alcohol stuff that you usually find in the cosmetics area? the alcohol makes sure that they freeze kind of squishy rather than a block. You could just use a bit of spirits if you cant get the witchhazel.
How much witchhazel do you use?
Then you just soak the pads in the mixture? Then freeze them?

I thought I even heard of someone injecting the pads with a mixture. Anyone do this?

· Registered
2,710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
Is a poultice just making a paste?
You can just bruise or shred the leaves, and soak them in a bit of really hot water. When they're cool enough, just stick it on top of your pad.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
I got my new comfrey plant on Tuesday! I hope this one lives!

I accidentally killed the first one.
:

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I got my new comfrey plant on Tuesday! I hope this one lives!

I accidentally killed the first one.
:
Where did you get your plant?

· Registered
2,710 Posts
At our local farmer's market. There's an herb/plant guy there who has all sorts of plants.

I think he gets a big kick out of growing things. Has a green thumb or something.

I have a book on growing practical herbs that gives a few sources for medicinal plants.

Let me know if you want the addresses, or it might be easier to google medicinal herbs/sources.

· Registered
105 Posts
My midwife just had me cut some menstrual pads in half, then make a very strong comfrey tea, and sprinkle that on them. She said they didn't need to be totally soaking, just moist. Then, put each one in a little ziplock and freeze them. She said it's too uncomfortable to use the whole pad because it freezes into an uncomfortable shape - the half-size ones are just perfect for hitting that exact spot where you need them. Anyway, we'll see how they work! Hopefully I won't actually even need them so much!

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdenLove View Post
My midwife just had me cut some menstrual pads in half, then make a very strong comfrey tea, and sprinkle that on them. She said they didn't need to be totally soaking, just moist. Then, put each one in a little ziplock and freeze them. She said it's too uncomfortable to use the whole pad because it freezes into an uncomfortable shape - the half-size ones are just perfect for hitting that exact spot where you need them. Anyway, we'll see how they work! Hopefully I won't actually even need them so much!

So did you just steep the leaves in hot water as if you were making tea to drink?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.