Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just wanted to come out of the woodwork and introduce myself. I've been lurking here for several weeks - but too many people IRL know me on here as well - and we hadn't made our announcement yet.

I'm Jeanette, DH is Sam and we have one three year old daughter named Isabella (Bella - 9.19.01). I am currently eight weeks - and my EDD is July 28th. I'm a doula (taking a break from clients right now) and co-director of a Birth Network. Birth is my passion, no doubt about it.

I've had a pretty rotten first trimester so far (truth: I'm only delurking to vent, whine and complain - grin). I've been much sicker than I ever was with Bella, puking all day, weak and dizzy, tired beyond belief. I"m feeling pretty anti-social and Bah-Humbuggy about the holiday,(note to self: never plan another pregnancy so that first trimester falls over Christmas), but am hosting a Holiday Potluck for my AP moms group tomorrow, so I'm trying to dig out the remnants of my holiday spirit from wherever they are hiding. How about the rest of you - are you in the mood for holidays, or just going through the motions?

Bella was born at home, in water - and we plan to do the same for this birth. I'm feeling a bit stressed about our plans, as my gut is telling me that this birth is meant to happen with a different midwife, that there are lessons to be learned from someone else - but not sure who to choose. I was SO hard telling our first midwife, as I love her and respect her dearly, and she has become a friend over the past four years. Still - I have to trust my gut. In all honesty, I"m very drawn to unassisted, but I hemmoraged quite badly with Bella, and my husband won't even consider it. As much as it appeals to me, I think I still have some doubts as well - but mostly I feel I have to honour his comfort level as well. My ideal I suppose, would be a midwife assisted birth that can be as close to unassisted as possible. Anyone have any thoughts on making this work? I'm sort of worried that I have created this idea in my head that I'm going to have a hard time finding in real life - but I want to try.

Anyway, despite all my complaining - I really am quite happy about this pregnancy. I'm really looking to have a very holistic and woman-centered experience, and want to really honour this passage in a different way than I did last time. I feel a very strong pull to feel nutured and surrounded by a community of loving women throughout the pregnancy - and hope I can make that a reality.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,
Jeanette

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Welcome Jennette!

Given that you're a doula, I'd especially think any good midwife would be willing to hang back and be a supportive presence, waiting for you to make the call on whether to get involved or not. Especially those willing to do homebirths. Although with multiples, you may run out of hands, no? Good luck!

As for holiday spirit, I'm managing some in between bouts of sleeping on the couch (or floor), lol. But I am almost completely unable to cook anything more than rice or oatmeal or eggs. I made a brisket for Chanukah and only ate one bite. Luckily it falls on DH to make Christmas eve dinner and breakfast, so they'll at least be food. I also managed to get all the present shopping done a few weeks back. The stockings won't be quite as stuffed as I'd like, but I think everyone will live. Luckily, also, most of our holiday gatherings are done. We're only having a close friend for eve dinner, and a close family for Christmas morning, none of whom I have to impress or who will mind if I'm lying on the couch or still in my sweats. Now if I can only get over my annoyance of all the decorations (cards on the door, pine needles on the floor, various cookie houses crumbling, DD-made trinkets) as being clutter and wanting to toss them, I'd be feeling better
!

I only came out of the woodwork to grumble too, btw. I'm trying really hard not to bore my friends with it all.

And, my DD (8/7/01)'s due date was the 28th. SHe was almost Isabella, instead, named Sophia. Here's hoping you're on time (or a bit early!)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! Only a few ore weeks of morning sickness and you'll start to feel wonderful again.
:

It's nice to see that a lot of our first and second children were and will be born around the same time. My DD (Hannah) was born 10/19/2001.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Hi,

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am a doula also. I have a client due any day and one in February..and then that is it. I am taking a birth hiatus.
This is my 4th..and my kids really need me. Besides, there is a great doula who recently moved to my area (from Maine), and I feel very comfortable stepping back from the birth arena..I know that the mamas will be in great hands when I refer them to her.

Anyhoo..I had an UC with my #3 birth. Are you aware of the online UC community/links/chat groups?

Hope you have a great pregnancy!

Jenni

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

Pom - multiplies? I sure hope I'm not having multiples

I've not done a single bit of holiday cooking either - which sucks - because I've come to realize that almost all my holiday memories are tied up with food
We've got some great recipes in my family that are only made at Christmas - and it does not seem right not to have them...but still - the idea of cooking. UGH.

I haven't gotten a thing for my husband yet - nor has he for me (because I keep making him come home right after work so I can flake). I don't even really care this year - but I know I've got to figure out a way to get out and get SOMETHING. Thank heavens we shopped for my daughter last month.

Quote:
Here's hoping you're on time (or a bit early!)
That would indeed be nice. Bella was nine days post dates, and as I have longer cycles and tend to ovluate late, I'm preparing myself for an August baby

Erika-
I'm a Canadian as well - but have lived in Arizona since 1999. I'm originally from Nova Scotia - and my husband is French.

Quote:
Welcome and congratulations! Only a few ore weeks of morning sickness and you'll start to feel wonderful again.
Ah - an optimist. Keep feeding me those lines mama.

Our daughters are only a month apart - have you told Hannah yet about the new baby?

Jenni,
I've got a client at the end of Febuary - and that is it for me, I think. I've still got some back up arrangements in effect, and I'll honor those till March or April, unless I start to feel huge and unwieldy before then. Thank heavens I don't have any clients right now -this was kind of a spontaneous decision (TTC) so it is pure luck that I didn't have anyone. I think back to last year at this time when I was juggling five clients and imagine how impossible it would be to do right now.

Quote:
Anyhoo..I had an UC with my #3 birth. Are you aware of the online UC community/links/chat groups?
Ooh - tell me more. What was your experience like? What are you planning this time? I've heard that there are some good groups out there - but wonder, would they be accepting of someone trying to have as UC experience as possible, while planning a midwife attended birth (I had first typed "midwife-assisted" and then changed it
)

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey Jenette -

Yes, multiplies would be awful.

I love Nova Scotia! We honeymooned there, in fact. It was supposed to be a whole whirlwind European honeymoon, but I had a wee nervous breakdown around all the wedding (and moving and apt shopping and graduating and job hunting) stuff, and so we opted for a quick and easy ferry ride as we were married (and I grew up in) Maine. We lived like royalty and ate our way around the island. What part are you from?

I think I just outgrew another pair of pants as I'm typing. Sigh.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh oh. You're in trouble now. You may be able to catch a ferry from Maine, but NS is not an island
I'm actually from all around Atlantic Canada - grew up a vagabond preachers daughter - but NS feels like home to me, because it is where we always went back to.

Quote:
I think I just outgrew another pair of pants as I'm typing. Sigh.
LOL - now that is a fast growing belly.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Welcom JEanette and congrats

i think the Uc community here is very acceptant of a person taking hte learning path they need to take to uc..and woudln't have a problem with you wanting to hang out with them and sitll have mw attended hb w/ the mw in the background

c-birht woudl not be..um in fact they might tell you off. I actually had to get off that mailing list because they wree so hardcore and judgemental of peopel that dine't chose exactly there way Up/Uc that it was really turning me off of the whoel uc idea as a whole.

now since ilove the idea of uc and am hoping for a uc with this birth...this was abad thing for me...filling full of bad vibes that i was trying ot avoid

but as a disclimer many people LOVE the c-birth list, the women are informative and hlepful and supportive as long as you are oging along with there life style choices.

there are toher uc lists but i haven't been on them perosnally...i hear that they are more accepting of people who are on the fence or not doing up's along with there uc's but less members have actual unnassited home births. *Shrug*

i lvoe the uc community here myself..they are so kind and supportive
even though i mostly lurk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanetteL
Erika-
I'm a Canadian as well - but have lived in Arizona since 1999. I'm originally from Nova Scotia - and my husband is French.

Ah - an optimist. Keep feeding me those lines mama.

Our daughters are only a month apart - have you told Hannah yet about the new baby?
My husband is also french... more french than I am anyway. We are actually going to Newfoundland in June of next year (pregnancy permitting) to visit his biological grandparents (DH's real dad passed when Dh was 3 months old). They have never met Hannah and DH hasn't seen them since he was 15 (13 years ago!). It should be very exciting.

We have told Hannah that there is a baby in mommy' tummy but I'm sure if she really understands. I have shown her pregnant bellies and she knows there is a baby in there but I don't think she reeeeeeeally knows, kwim? LOL

But if you ask her if she wants a baby brother or sister it is ALWAYS a baby sister. LOL

And I feel for you deeply about morning sickness. I had it soooo bad with Hannah and almost nothing with this pregnancy. I don't know how I got so lucky but I am SO greatful!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erika,
I grew up in Newfoundland for most of my childhood. Where are you heading? I can't believe you're heading to NF a month before you are due!

Pom,
I'll let it go this time
Seriously - I used to work for the tourism dept when I was in college, and we'd get the craziest questions. My favorite "When does your island close for the winter?"

Selissa,
I introduced myself on the UC thread - and you are right, people have been very welcoming. Thanks!

Jeanette

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Ooh - tell me more. What was your experience like? What are you planning this time? I've heard that there are some good groups out there - but wonder, would they be accepting of someone trying to have as UC experience as possible, while planning a midwife attended birth (I had first typed "midwife-assisted" and then changed it
)

Jeanette[/QUOTE]

Hey Jeanette,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. The sickies going around with some of my children and they need extra lovin'. I think that my experience was okay. I realized during/at the birth that I perhaps had some fears that I had not totally worked through..but it turned out okay. My birth story and a pic of my baby boy (now a toddler), is on www.christianuc.com There is a section for birth stories. Mine is in 2003 and it is Jonathan's birth. (There are 2 Jonathan's, but my story is there!) I actually ended up calling 2 close friends to give moral support and one ended up assisting in catching because I was on the toilet and Dh was holding me up in a supported squat and I had one hand there..but, um..lets just say it was intense.
I am planning another UC but this time just me and dh, probably. One of my friends who was there is pregnant now also and due a few days before me, and the other is not comfortable knowing I am planning UC again because of some personal reasons..that is cool and I appreciate their honesty. They are great friends, regardless. I am really lucky. There are a ton of yahoogroups that support UC. I really like christianuc, empoweredchildbirth, and cbirth, (sometimes, lol). I think that you can take what is useful to you and leave the rest..to me that is what freebirth is all about. If you ever want to email me personally to chat about birth stuff my email is [email protected]

Good Luck on your pregnancy..no matter the path you decide to travel to birth.

Later, Jenni

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.