Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey smartie mamas.

I was chatting witha friend of mine who is a long term (read: obsessive) CDer. I told her I was planning to use mostly FBs, since I do not have the patience to care for wool and DH has NO desire to learn to use prefolds. Fitteds are hella expensive, and FB are cute and readily available, so it seemed like a go to me.

So she rolls her eyes and says, "Oh, there is SO much better stuff out there, don't be lazy! Go for the good stuff!"

I tried to explain to her that I just do not want to spend the 20+ for a firefly, or deal with washing wool, or sit at my comp hitting refresh waiting for stores to stock. Do you see anything "wrong" with FB? Is she being a "diaper snob", or am I being naive?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
We like our FB...but there have been times that they just DID NOT fit right...And really- you are paying what?? $13.95 ish for a FB...and then they need an insert. Even a prefold would be another $2 so it's still a $16+ diaper. For that price there IS a lot of other stuff out there, but if you want to do FB...I'd get a couple to make sure they fit first. IF they fit right- they are very reliable diapers. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well gosh, I don't think that it's a laziness factor. I don't know what she was getting at there?

I think Fuzzi Bunz are really nice diapers. I think that for convenience, that pockets are the way to go. Pockets are basically AIO's but you can get them so much cleaner. They also have wonderful resale value so you can sell off what your dc outgrows to buy the next size up.

Personally, for the fun of it, I'd get a variety, though (Happy Heinys, Wonderoos, etc.). They're all easily accessible. If you want more variety later, then you can try out other things too.

Enjoy CD'ing!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Fuzzi Bunz work really great for lots of people. That said, if you ask me they have their issues almost as much as wool/fitteds do. They aren't necessarily cheaper than fitteds/wool, since IME you really need a stash of at least 18 pockets and probably 20 or more inserts (so you can double for night-time without running out). So $14.95 each if you want colors, $4.50 or so each for the hemp inserts (bc who wants all that bulk of using prefolds, really) and now you are up to almost $20 per diaper. A stash of 18 fitteds and 4-6 covers wouldn't necessarily be any more expensive, kwim? And it's true, it would be way cuter.

Besides the cost issue, the microfleece can be VERY finicky. There is a reason why there are threads EVERY SINGLE DAY on here about repelling microfleece and where to buy sportwash and how to strip. I am reluctant to recommend cloth diapering to people who are not already interested because to tell the truth, I spend more time stripping and repeating rinse cycles and turning up my water heater than I could legitimately claim is "no more trouble than sposies."

All that said, FB make up the bulk of our stash b/c I like that they are dry next to my son's skin, and I like that they are fairly easy for another care provider to use. I went back to work at 8 weeks and my son has had a variety of caregivers, both paid and family. I have been able to keep him in cloth because I picked one system that is mostly foolproof...but If I were home with him I would have totally gone for the "fun" and variety of fitteds and wool. FB get kind of boring after a while.

I don't think she is necessarily being "a diaper snob" but being called lazy for my FB choice would rub me the wrong way too. Am I correct in assuming you are expecting and haven't tried any diaper system in practice yet? I'd advise just being flexible and trying different things the first few months, because your babe will grow out of whatever newborn stuff you buy really quickly anyway. Then when you are going into size mediums you'll have a good idea of what you really like and can just buy that.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I was going to mention the microfleece thing too. Just recently DD has begun to have problems with diapers that are lined in fleece. Maybe I have to do a strip wash? Fuzzi Bunz are great and reliable. We have had out fit issues with them though, as another poster said. I think that it is a sort of learn by experience thing - you just don't know what kind of diaper will work for your child until you have the baby there to do real life testing with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mamas. I actually have some HHs on order. Wonderoos scare me, actually- so many snaps!! And, I did a little bit of hyena- i am IN LOVE with Snap-ez pockets.

You're right, I am still expecting, but I was inspired to CD by a neighbor whose DD I would babysit for all the time. I was so amazed at how easy her diapers were- this is the friend who bugged me. She has a HUGE stash, her DH jokes that its worth more than their car. But when I babysat for her, I always reached for the pockets because I knew that a) I could get them on quickly and b) I could stuff them depending on what we were doing or where we were doing. Trim? super absorbant? I REALLY liked the versatility of the diaper. So, I am imagining that that is what I will like on this babe too. Plus, the smell of wet wool makes my stomach turn, and as much as I would love a PWP or SOS, I think I would be so bummed to put a cover on it.

Stripping/repelling does scare me, but I guess I'll learn, right? If stalking was easier I would get ALL Snap-ez with suedecloth inners, but those are some tough diapers to get. Seems every time I plant myself by the puter to stalk, DS1 manages to put himself in some sort of bodily peril (the only thing that could tear me away from the screen!)

This is tougher than I thought, or at least more overwhelming. Maybe I wil put the shopping on hold until Theo is born and I get a better idea of his shape.

Thanks, though. . .this is what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2mygirls
Iam sorry your friend is rude I use fuzzi bunz and love them use what you want to use.
ita!

here is the thing. all diapering systems have their pro & cons. none is perfect. i'm all 4 keeping it simple in the beginning and then adjusting if need be. get the fb (or whichever dipes you like the sound of best) & don't worry about all the problems that could potentially happen, because you may never have to deal with them. if u do have problem, get help. this board is a good place 4 that. there r some other cd boards as well. keep in mind that on message boards u r more likely 2 hear about problems than when things r going right. 4 example, i have never had my fleece repel, but i have never started a thread saying yay my fleece isn't repelling! By the way, if you want to be proactive about avoiding fleece problems, wash with sport wash or sensiclean. There was a thread in the last day or so about where to buy it. This isn't a requirement tho, plenty of people (like me) use regular detergent and do fine.

Another thing you could do to avoid potential probs that isn't a requirement is using microfiber inserts and mirofiber wipes. Then you aren't washing with natural fibers, which apparently is more likely to cause pilling. I don't follow this myself and I have a small amount of pilling that does not cause a problem.

One thing about FB that is really nice is they have great resale value on ebay when you child outgrows them (or if u end up not liking them). Also, regarding $, lots of places online have great package deals. I get mine at www.fuzzibunzstore.com but I think there may be some even cheaper places out there. Search 4 threads on this.

have fun picking out fb colors! this is my favorite part of buying them!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
If you don't like wool, there are a lot of cute fleece covers out there to go over fitteds, and easier to care for than wool (you just wash and dry fleece covers with your dipes). It's confusing at first that people use microfleece as a liner for moisture to pass through, and polar fleece as a cover for moisture to NOT pass through, but it works. One of my favorite diapers is this snowflake diaper made by My Precious Baby by April. It's got a microfleece-lined soaker and a polar fleece outer. It works for night-time (with a doubler) on my super-wetting toddler, washes and dries easily by machine, and is totally cute!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
There's nothing wrong with investing in a bunch of Fuzzi's. They are wonderful, user-friendly diapers, and work beautiful for the majority of people who use them.

If you DO have a problem, they have wonderful resale value.

I think it's great to get some different stuff to try out, though, if you can afford to experiment a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wednesday
So $14.95 each if you want colors, $4.50 or so each for the hemp inserts (bc who wants all that bulk of using prefolds, really) and now you are up to almost $20 per diaper.
I bought 18 Fuzzi's (in colors) from Mother Eve http://www.mothereve.com with 18 free inserts, 6 free Joey Bunz (for nighttime use) and free shipping - it came to a total of $250. That's less than $14 per diaper/insert.

IME so far Fuzzi Bunz really are one of the most affordable options out there, both for the up-front cost and their resale value (which is fantastic!).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't see where shes getting at that you're lazy using fuzzibunz..
I use mostly fitteds and wool, but I have pockets for outings......
I DO think you should try other pockets if you feel that pockets are the way to go for your family. I have used fuzzi bunz and wonderoos, and like both, but I have 2 swaddlebees on the way that I'm excited to try.
I bought them here..
http://www.diaperjunction.com/store/...dleBeesDiapers
they cost the same as fuzzibunz and they work the same, they are just supposed to be trimmer. Buy one of those and give them a try too

You friend DOES seem like a dipe snob. :LOL

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Hmmm...that's kind of mean for her to say. I used to only use natural fibers, and while I still prefer tham I am having fit issues with my 2.5 yr old. He is too big for every dipe I find out there, and I really can't afford all new dipes and wool for him( I am still knitting him some, and using GMAR fitteds), he weighs #57, and is only 37 inches tall...XL are too small. Fuzzibunz comes in an xxl, and I bought him 7 of them(I've gotten one in the mail, waiting for the others). I can not tell you how good it feels to put that one dipe on him and it fits with room to grow(hopefully he won't need it, but if he does I won't have wasted my money). If I had not allowed myself to step out of my natural fibers box I may have become so stressed with the diaper scenerio that I would have quit with him. though finding sposies that fit would probably be almost as hard. <sigh> so long story short, use what you want, use what you need, and don't worry bout what others have to say.
Debi

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I love pocket diapers. They are DH's favorites (well...he likes AIOs too...) and they are really easy. I'm starting to think I'm going to switch my toddler over to full-time pockets/AIOs. I say go for it!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i have two fuzzibunz and i like them but think they are a pita because i have to stuff them every time i use them. pf are soooo much easier, i would use all fitteds if i could afford them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In my opinion, the most affordable diaper is the one you use the most - whether thats wool, prefolds, or pockets. I went straight for Fuzzi Bunz when I first started CD'ing b/c I wanted the ease and conveniance of them. If I didn't enjoy using them, I wasn't going to use them, and therefore wasted a bunch of money.

I like washing diapers every couple of days - less stink build-up and all my favs are right at hand. This means I only really needed 15 diapers. At nurturedfamily.com, they give you free inserts with Fuzzi Bunz, lowering the expense even more. I have since branched out to AIO's - I tried covers and such, but didn't like that style as much. But I didn't branch out until I was comfortable with CD'ing Plus, dh loves Fuzzi Bunz - they really are my most dependable diaper in the stash.

Am I lazy? Well, yeah. I would rather pick an "easy" diaper to use/wash/and get than spend time getting frustrated trying to find them/wash them/teaching dh how to use them lol! And I would tell your friend that that kind of attitude that she showed you would scare off many potential CD'ers and that she shold be thrilled you're trying them at all! But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
ITA with the previous posters that your friend's comment was rude and you should use whatever works for you. Fuzzibunz are great diapers and have great resale value.

To avoid dealing with washing/build-up problems, I would recommend washing with Allen's Naturally (recommended my the makers of fuzzibunz) and getting inserts that aren't too thick. I actually prefer quad-folded Babykicks Duz-it-alls rather than joeybunz because they wash more thoroughly, dry quicker, and you can fold them to fit any size FB, thus avoiding having to buy multiple different sizes of inserts as your child grows bigger.

Happy CDing!

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's so rude! I would think she would be thrilled that you are using cloth regardless of what kind.
:

I would borrow or just buy one to make sure they fit your DC well. Or buy from a place with a good return policy and make sure you try them on before washing all of them! I have some mediums that have fit my DD from about 2 months until today (they're a little short in the rise, but they would work in a pinch!), so they are cost effective. Another reason just to try out one or two for a day is to make sure DC isn't sensitive to PUL or the microfleece. It does happen!

If you do want to try fitteds, not all the good ones are expensive or hard to get. I'm sure the mamas here could suggest some if you wanted to experiment.

Good luck with cloth!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I love our pocket diapers most of the time. They are all the dh will put on our daughter because all of our fitteds are snaps and he has problems getting them on her. We use a pocket for outtings and for bedtime, and when I am home with her during the day I use mostly fitteds with no cover as there really is no need. That being said I don't own a FB, not because I dont' like them, just have not gotten any. My faves are the Harleyz because of the trim fit. We use them for under her clothes because there is less bulk. But that is what we have found that works best. I love my mutt diapers and my 7th heaven diapers but that is because they fit my daughter so well. I know some people don't have good luck with either of them.
It is all in what works for you. Don't let your neighbor sway you, do what works for you!
Hugs
Jessica

·
Registered
813 Posts
1st off congrats on your impending birth!

And Hooray for you and your lucky baby that you'll be definatly using cd's!!!!!

nothing wrong with knowing already what you like!!!!

FB's fit almost all babies, but she's right that fitteds do work best for nb's.

pocket diapers for nb's is sort of hard, you'll need like a bazillion, and you still have to stuff and unstuff every blinkin one of um, lol! Plus the fleece may make poopies slide right out of the diaper, baby's legs may be slim for quite a few weeks till they grow into a pocket diaper and fill it out properly so you don't have to chock it full of stuffers, or worry about leaks.

Fitteds are almost entirely LEAK FREE!

You've got the fitted which grabs poos, and is the best for absorbing power of pees(some nb's are heavy wetters
) plus with that second layer(covers are optional, we did have ds in a fitted only sometimes to air out) it gives a second barrier if any poos do leak out, which is very rare in a good fitted nb sized diaper.

Kissaluvs are super easy to take care of, no stripping, unless baby gets a rash or something. Plus same thing on the resale value thing, and they fit EVERY newborn!

You can use wool, or breathable nylon, or even fleece covers. So your choices are super open, there are tons of available covers and kissaluvs available, and you can definatly get a bunch of FB's to add to your stash.

After that first few weeks and months baby will need a bigger size dipes, and that's the age when pocket diapers really come in handy. They don't lay still for diaper changes any more like they do when they are nb's. They need that fleece to feel a little drier so if you miss a change, baby won't be too terribly uncomfortable, and they are easy as aio's except for the stuffing part, but you won't be changing 20+ diapers a day anymore, only more like 10-12+! LOL!!
:

Trust me, we literally tried Every diapering system out there, and even with the fact that fitteds use a cover over the diaper, they were our favorites. Even picky (ie lazy) DH liked my little sewn sherpa fitteds.

They seem to hug every nb baby's shape better than any other diaper I've seen. The alexis featherlites covers we used fit so well, we tucked it under the snap down for umbilical cord and so it never touched that part, which was a nice plus. i tried every other cover, and these were THE BEST for NB'S! Aside from Nikky 100% cotton nb covers and a few wool bumpys we had used alexis featherlites. They NEVER left red marks on baby's skin, never irritated his sensitive parts, never leaked, breathed very well, and were actually a huge cost savings compared to expensive bummi's or prowraps or any other velcro cover that were supposedly for nb's but never fit right at all, and took too much time to fiddle with closures, and tucking parts in after I had juse snapped the fitted diaper closed, it was way easier to just pull on the cover.

If you can find pics of nb's wearing nb fitteds like kissaluvs, you can see for yourself how cuddly and perfectly they are just mADE for nb's!!

Go ahead and order some well known well made dipes, and rest at ease, they will work great~!

Make sure you do your diaper order in plenty of time, so you can concentrate on more important issues. YOur birth plan, your doula, or MW, and drinking your Red raspberry tea, doing your Kegals many times a day. Visiting a LC or going to a LLL meeting, or both to get as much info about latch on and positioning, why not to use drugs in birth, and why not to give a pacifier in the first 6 weeks. Whew!

A happy mom and dad, a sling, a stash of cloth diapers, a big family bed, what more does a baby ever need??????

Take Care! And welcome to the diapering board!

Sarah;0)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts