Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,543 Posts
Fuzzi Bunz work really great for lots of people. That said, if you ask me they have their issues almost as much as wool/fitteds do. They aren't necessarily cheaper than fitteds/wool, since IME you really need a stash of at least 18 pockets and probably 20 or more inserts (so you can double for night-time without running out). So $14.95 each if you want colors, $4.50 or so each for the hemp inserts (bc who wants all that bulk of using prefolds, really) and now you are up to almost $20 per diaper. A stash of 18 fitteds and 4-6 covers wouldn't necessarily be any more expensive, kwim? And it's true, it would be way cuter.

Besides the cost issue, the microfleece can be VERY finicky. There is a reason why there are threads EVERY SINGLE DAY on here about repelling microfleece and where to buy sportwash and how to strip. I am reluctant to recommend cloth diapering to people who are not already interested because to tell the truth, I spend more time stripping and repeating rinse cycles and turning up my water heater than I could legitimately claim is "no more trouble than sposies."

All that said, FB make up the bulk of our stash b/c I like that they are dry next to my son's skin, and I like that they are fairly easy for another care provider to use. I went back to work at 8 weeks and my son has had a variety of caregivers, both paid and family. I have been able to keep him in cloth because I picked one system that is mostly foolproof...but If I were home with him I would have totally gone for the "fun" and variety of fitteds and wool. FB get kind of boring after a while.

I don't think she is necessarily being "a diaper snob" but being called lazy for my FB choice would rub me the wrong way too. Am I correct in assuming you are expecting and haven't tried any diaper system in practice yet? I'd advise just being flexible and trying different things the first few months, because your babe will grow out of whatever newborn stuff you buy really quickly anyway. Then when you are going into size mediums you'll have a good idea of what you really like and can just buy that.

· Registered
5,543 Posts
If you don't like wool, there are a lot of cute fleece covers out there to go over fitteds, and easier to care for than wool (you just wash and dry fleece covers with your dipes). It's confusing at first that people use microfleece as a liner for moisture to pass through, and polar fleece as a cover for moisture to NOT pass through, but it works. One of my favorite diapers is this snowflake diaper made by My Precious Baby by April. It's got a microfleece-lined soaker and a polar fleece outer. It works for night-time (with a doubler) on my super-wetting toddler, washes and dries easily by machine, and is totally cute!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.