Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Well your friend is crazy! We are a pocket CDing family and have tried several different types. Honestly, hands down the FBs are my favorite. DH liked the HHs at first since the velcro was quick and easy, now the FBs are the first thing he grabs and gets upset when they are all gone. We get the best fit, they are nice and trim, and we have never had a problem. Heck....she even went all night in one with only one lousy microfiber insert (DH forgot to double her up) That insert was soaked we literally squeezed the pee out of it, but she did not leak or wick one bit! Sure there is other stuff out there, but go with what works for you.

· Registered
8,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristiMetz
I bought 18 Fuzzi's (in colors) from Mother Eve http://www.mothereve.com with 18 free inserts, 6 free Joey Bunz (for nighttime use) and free shipping - it came to a total of $250. That's less than $14 per diaper/insert.
Wow, that's a great deal! I'd like to get 18 small FB's for the next baby, and I'll have to bookmark that site! We love our FB's. Don't get me wrong, I love fitteds and wool, too, but I find that each has its own place, depending on the weather, occasion, and what clothing DD is wearing.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
IMO, it's a good idea to try a few different things on your babe before forking over the $$ for a whole stash of fb's. I think it's great that you enjoyed using the fb's on your friend's babe, and I also think they are great diapers with great resale value! If you love 'em and they fit your babe well, go for it, mama! It's your choice to make, and your babe's bum, not anyone else's!

· Registered
6,183 Posts
What a horribly rude thing to say! Never ever EVER mock another person's CD system. What works for me and my family doesn't work for another family.

Kinda funny though because usually people say the opposite: Don't waste your money on fancy things :LOL

I had some Fuzzi Bunz when Kai was a newborn. They were ok, they fit fine. I am just not a fan of pockets. Also her poops were too crazy for them and they always leaked for us. But so many people use them and like them, so go for it!

· Registered
576 Posts
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with them, but they didn't work for us and if I were you I'd try them before buying a whole stash of them because they are pretty expensive once you add in the cost of the inserts. They leaked everytime Aly wore them so I sold the one that I had. I use mostly Baby Soft Wraps with some fitteds and prefolds and wool at night. You can get fitteds for a reasonable price, they aren't all hyena
I really like Sammies Onesize which aren't too expensive. Good Luck!

· Registered
5,187 Posts
We have used Fuzzibunz very successfully. DD is now in a weird shape phase and the only thing I can get to stay on her is a prefold (she has figured out snaps and aplix) that is pinned with a pull-on cover.

However, the FB are good for the car trips, the long outings, overnight. AND you don't have to spend a lot on inserts...I got the 8 pack of microfiber towels from the auto section at Walmart for $4.96. They work great -- two folded up together are trim and perfect for daytime, 3 is great for night. Easy to wash, you can throw them in the dryer, they are virtually indestructible. Easy to get and cheap. Can't go wrong.

I think it's too bad that your friend is disparaging your cd'ing choices. Silly really, when you think about it -- just making the choice to cd is such a maverick one in our world, we should all support each other. I mean, even if a person uses the pf's from BRU twice a day instead of disposibles, that's less disposibles for the landfill and on baby's bum. ANY cloth diaper at ANY time on a babe is better than the paper/plastic alternative to my way of thinking.

Good luck! Another great site for pockets is www.babiesinthesun.com. She has Happy Heinies and several different variety/sample packages so you can mix, match, and discover what works for you. I also really like the HH for the adjustability and ease -- for dh they are foolproof and I find the fit slightly more consistent than the FB's.

Best!

· Registered
2,240 Posts
There's not a thing wrong with a full stash of fuzzibunz. There is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a uniform stash. One of my dh's biggest complaints is that he doesn't know 'what diaper goes with what, or which needs a cover and which doesn't' so he avoids diaper changes all together, or he reaches for the few 'known' diapers he can figure out. FB work well, are easy to use and have a good resale value when you're done with them. You really can't go wrong.

Some mamas like prefolds and covers. Some like Fuzzibunz. Some like fitteds and wool. Some like a variety. Some mamas are 'diaper collectors' and want the latest and greatest 'hyena' diapers and nothing else will do for their sweet child.

I say go for it, but first, buy just a few so you can see if you like them before investing in a huge uniform stash.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
If fuzzi bunz is what makes you excited about cloth diapering than I say go hog wild. They worked great for my dd, used them until potty training. However they have never worked for ds. Skinny waist and massive thighes makes for an odd fit. I agree buy a few first to use during that newborn/small phase along with prefolds etc and if they work for you invest in those mediums. I started with both my kids with them at 4 months and they fit forever it seemed. Good Luck!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I didn't read all the responses, so maybe you've already heard all this.

Anyway - we are a 100% FuzziBunz family and LOVE them!

John is my 2nd baby. With my 1st (daughter, 4 years now) I tried it all. I was obsessed with cloth diapers and had some of everything. True, there were lots of cute things out there. True, it's fun to try different things. If you want variety, go for it.

When I was pregnant for John, I kept buying more diapers. I had over 100. That's really silly, since I certainly don't have a diaper pail that big!

After a few months, I went into super-simplify mode. For us, that meant selling off everything we didn't use. We ended up with just FuzziBunz. I LOVE them!

I think they are super cute. We have a nice rainbow of (boyish or neutral) colors. I use hemp inserts (I make or buy cheap used) and microfleece towels (from the car care section at walmart). I never pay more than $10ppdfor a gently used FB. I think I have 24 in the mediums (what John is wearing now). I never run out. Everyone knows how to use them (even my disposable-loving sister).

I don't do anything special to wash them. I've used only All Free and Clear for 4 years and it's perfect. I rinse, wash, rinse, dry on hot. Super easy.

I know it's not as "cool" in the cloth diaper world to use something that is not "rare" or is factory made or not a hyena or whatever. But I don't care. I like what I like. Get what you want to get. Who cares what other people think?

· Registered
3,512 Posts
We
our fbs! They keep ds's skin looking awesome. They are also great at night b/c you can adjust the absorbancy. Do NOT stuff them w/ prefolds. IME they often leak like that. Cotton Babies includes free inserts and has package deals. Their inserts are really absorbant too. I would suggest buying the Allen's Naturally, it is like $50, but it will last you forever. They you won't have any stripping, etc. I have a staple of fbs (12 plus 4 in the next size for nights). Then I use pfs and a few fitteds (both with wool) for variety. I like to let ds wear a pf coverless after he gets up to "air out" too. I put a microfleece liner in my pfs though. Keeps the skin nice and dry.

· Registered
153 Posts
I think that's pretty rude. Sure, there are lots of options but whatever YOU like and will enjoy using is what you should use.

We didn't CD until DS was nearly 12 months but the FB's have always (and continue to be) my most reliable diaper for outings. As it gets warmer here I'm not reaching for them as much but they are still my DH's favorites, so easy for him. I never minded stuffing them after I did laundry; I have only Cottonbabies microfiber inserts so I never have to choose what to put in them.

I have a 2 day stash of pockets/AIOs and a 2 day stash of fitteds/covers/wool. When I'm extra tired or frazzled I always end up using my stash of pockets/AIOs instead of reaching for the fitteds, it's just plain easier and DS can wear all of his regular clothes when wearing those. With the fitteds, he has too much of a bubble butt to wear a lot of his clothes and when he's out in the yard getting dirty I don't want him in his nice knitted wool soakers!

· Registered
4,459 Posts
You know what? I think your friend was looking forward to comparing notes with you on all of the various diapers, and seeing all the cute hyena stuff on your baby, and she masked her disappointment with a comment that was ill-advised.

I bet she's just bummed she doesn't get to compare dipes with ya.

Just a thought.

· Registered
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristiMetz
You know what? I think your friend was looking forward to comparing notes with you on all of the various diapers, and seeing all the cute hyena stuff on your baby, and she masked her disappointment with a comment that was ill-advised.

I bet she's just bummed she doesn't get to compare dipes with ya.

Just a thought.
That is a good thought. Maybe she just didn't express it the best way

· Registered
821 Posts
hey, ya know I jsut noticed that the other day while perusing ebay, FB's do have tons of bids, except the sm sizes, and practically no bids on premie sizes!!!

So if you don't mind using used diapers(mind you nb's are very gentle on diapers, and don't use them very long at all, my nb starbunz fitteds look almost brand new except for a stain on a couple of them) you can get a whole stash bought for very cheap on ebay, if you just wait and watch long enough!! LOL!

Just a thought!

· Registered
4,837 Posts
I've cd'd for over two years ... started out with FBs, and have tried everything you can imagine inbetween! Yes, there are lots of great things out there ... and we do use a lot of coverless fitteds, and wool at night .. but guess what? A large part of my stash, and still my old standby with no leaks is a Fuzzi Bunz. They are nice and trim under clothing, and NEVER leak for us.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.