Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*never mind*

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just a little upset when I posted.
I have nothing against the guy. Hopefully the pics will look good when we go back to get them. I just don't get why he would make such comments 'knowing' I'm a homeschooler.

I deleted my original post. I feel bad for complaining now.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I read your post before you deleted it. FWIW, I think I'd spend my money elsewhere from now on. Gossiping about other customers is rude and unprofessional, especially if he was doing it in front of the kids.

ZM

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
I read your post before you deleted it. FWIW, I think I'd spend my money elsewhere from now on. Gossiping about other customers is rude and unprofessional, especially if he was doing it in front of the kids.
He was definitely doing it in front of the kids.
When he made the comment about how he couldn't understand parents who let their kids do their school work alone and didn't "teach" their kids it upset me because my 14 yr old son does a lot of his school work independently not because I force him to do it that way but because he prefers to.
He does switched on schoolhouse for the brunt of his school work and prefers to work alone and is a very laid back, quiet child. It's just his personality and it gives him that time alone to study.

I feel better about this today. I got the scores back yesterday from the company we used for doing the CAT/5.
My children tested well above age level. My oldest (mentioned above) tested in the 9th-12th grade range for all of his tests with the exception of math where he tested at grade level, 7th grade. He's the one I had worried the most about since he does SOS. I'm so proud of them!!! and I KNOW I'm doing the right thing.
That's the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I read your post yesterday. It's weird some of the ideas people get about homeschooling and what it should look like. One time my mom's friend was complaining to her about a homeschooling family in her neighborhood because sometimes the kids are outside playing in the afternoon before school has let out.
I also agree that this guy can't possibly know what these families do or don't do since it sounds like he's making his judgements from tiny snippets of these people's lives. I hope the pictures are at least good!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
When he made the comment about how he couldn't understand parents who let their kids do their school work alone and didn't "teach" their kids...
I didn't see your original post, so I don't know the whole story, but if I'd been there, those words would have launched me into a spiel about the fact that kids are perfectly able to learn without someone spoon feeding them. Once in awhile, when my son was a teen, someone would hear that we homeschooled and would look at me admiringly and say something like "Oh! You teach him at home yourself?" I found it so insulting to my son - who was standing right there looking a little stunned and mystified at the cluelessness - and I'd always manage to politely respond that he taught himself (even though I was internally rolling my eyes) which usually brought a slightly confused reaction from the other person, but they never pursued it. - Lillian

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Needle and Lillian. You made an excellent point Lillian!
You know the fact that my son can pick up books at this point and begin pursuing an interest is amazing. He was in school for 2 years and during that time he got to where he began to dislike reading and asking him to pick up a book when we first returned to homeschooling was like pulling his teeth. He dreaded it and didn't want to go through with it.
Nowadays he will pick up books that interest him and go with it! He is especially in to computers and is studying from the same programming books that his dad is currently studying from and he can go through one of those huge 800+ page books in less than a couple of weeks and actually know what he is doing on the computer. That's something I don't think I'd ever be able to do. So no one can tell me he isn't learning well when he does it on his own.

I'm also betting that man's kids (not sure of their ages) don't volunteer by their own choice or work small jobs to make money at this point in their lives (my son does both and loves doing them). I bet they get allowances after being begged by mom and dad to do chores they should willingly want to do because they are part of the family. But ofcourse I wouldn't assume those things about his children.
Although I'm betting I'm close to being right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.