Mothering Forum banner

Common cold in newborn

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sphinx 
#1 ·
This is my first winter baby. She's only 3 weeks old & has cold symptoms. (congestion, coughing, more sneezing than usual) Does anyone know if this is o.k. in a newborn? I'm not one who usually calls the dr. for a cold, but is this an exception?

#2 ·
I don't think it is an exception unless it lasts too long. What is too long? I'm not sure. My girl got a cold at 3 weeks and after a day or so snapped right back. I think what you need to look out for is snot that is not clear, like yellow or green... and a condition that just seems to be getting worse instead of better. Coughing at night and coughing that interrupts feeding and sleep are of greater concern than just coughing, and any kind of eye discharge is not good. If you have a ped... it can't hurt to make an appointment after a week or so if your babe isn't any better... especially if you'll feel better.

I also know that if you take lots of Vitamin C and Echineaca it will go into your breast milk. My homeopath just told me it is okay to take Echineaca... and so I am because my 3 month old has cold #2.

#3 ·
If it makes you feel better to call the doc, do so. Otherwise, just be careful & make sure you are as healthy as possible and make sure your baby gets a lot of rest and nurses as much as she wants. There are homeopathics you can use at that age. Watch that cough closely! My ds also got a cold at 3 or 4 weeks... he's now 2.5 months and has pneumonia. I had to take him out too often and the cold got worse instead of healing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.