Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://www.headwatersnews.org/hcn.walmart060804.html" target="_blank">http://www.headwatersnews.org/hcn.walmart060804.html</a><br><br>
Wal-Mart’s Manifest Destiny<br>
by Tim Sullivan<br><br><br>
Intent on Western expansion, the world’s largest company turns democracy upside-down — but now, communities are fighting back<br><br>
From suburban Denver, Colo., to Washington’s apple country, from the resort blowout of Park City, Utah, to the faux-adobe subdivisions of New Mexico, Wal-Mart’s aggressive expansion has become a symbol of how big-box retailers and franchise chains invade communities, bringing a range of impacts and reactions. Some local people welcome Wal-Mart, with its low prices and employment opportunities. Others resist, worrying that the corporate giant will siphon away profits and ruin local businesses, leaving a sprawling, homogenized commercial landscape and a retail graveyard on Main Street. They are wary of Wal-Mart’s low wages, and its reputation for mistreating its workers and discriminating against women.<br><br>
In self-defense, many Western communities have adopted "anti-big-box ordinances" that require Wal-Mart to pay impact fees, limit the size of its stores, and abide by other restrictions. But the company has refused to back down.<br><br>
Wal-Mart has threatened lawsuits, sued, and, when that hasn’t worked, it has taken to what may be its most dangerous practice: co-opting local democracy itself. In community after community, it has gathered enough petition signatures to put the issue to voters, overwhelming its opposition with millions of dollars in advertising and mailers, frosting its agenda in a populist coating. The practice has triggered deep concerns about the power of corporations to hijack local decision-making.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
This is just a short excerpt from the LONG article.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Thank you for the article.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">And it has become abundantly clear that Wal-Mart’s low prices are built on the backs of its 1.2 million employees.</td>
</tr></table></div>
Which helps no one.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Wal-Mart, meanwhile, defends its tactics. "Legislative bodies are unfairly targeting Wal-Mart. That’s why we do referendums or lawsuits," says Wal-Mart spokesman Peter Kanelos. "It’s about governments treating everyone equal and fair."</td>
</tr></table></div>
Statements like this drive me crazy. One huge step towards cleaning up the US (making it more like I wish it was) is to go back and say CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They are NOT intitled to the same rights (as they do not have the same responsibilities) as individual citizens. And then back that up.<br><br>
What is esp crazy to me is that Wal-Mart is so insistent on not opening new markets, but taking away already established markets. A new Wal-Mart has been going around and around for years in the Hillsboro (west of Portland, OR) area. This is a 70-80K town with two Targets, three Fred Meyers, numerous chain grocery stores, etc... (plus Linens N Things, Bed Bath & Beyond, a Meier & Frank going in) all within a 30 minute drive of the Portland/Beaverton shopping areas too.<br><br>
WHO IS BUYING ALL THIS CRAP!?!?!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Walmart is relentless. Did anyone see that Walmart is infilltrating Japan by buying local grocery shops and slowly converting them. The store stays open under it's old name but is wALMART MANAGEMENT AND slowly introduces all kinds of goods, with cheap prices. The people do not want the western corporations in their nation and won't shop at Walmart. So..... the Walmart corp is deceiving them and plans on putting the name up ONlY after they have customer loyalty. And people are used to getting things cheap.<br><br>
I refuse to shop there. I WILL NOT FUND SWEAT SHOP LABOR!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One huge step towards cleaning up the US (making it more like I wish it was) is to go back and say CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They are NOT intitled to the same rights (as they do not have the same responsibilities) as individual citizens. And then back that up.<br><br>
I hear ya!!!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">One huge step towards cleaning up the US (making it more like I wish it was) is to go back and say CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE. They are NOT intitled to the same rights (as they do not have the same responsibilities) as individual citizens. And then back that up.</td>
</tr></table></div>
At first, I was like, "Wow, that is *so* something I would say." :LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts