Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are about to return to work after our summer break. We're both teachers and commute about 50 minutes to work. The kids (2 and 6 months) come with us and are at a home daycare across the street from my school. The commute is stressful at best and horrendous at its worst (2 kids crying while mommy cries too
: ). DH and I work about 5 minutes from each other but our schools are on different hours (he starts an hour earlier and I finish an hour later). We usually commute in our own cars so we can maximize the time our kids have at home but we are thinking about buying a roomy minivan and loading us all up each morning. In the morning I'd drop the kids off earlier and do all of my prep work so I could leave immediately after the kids. I'd pick the kids up and pick up DH (who'd have time to prep after school) and drive home together. This way one of us is available to help the kids stay occupied on our drive. Plus, gas would be much cheaper for one vehicle as opposed to 2. Our other option is drive separately and drop off later and pick up earlier, but only one parent in the car to keep the kids going. That's fine too, but how can I make the commute easier on them? I try snacks, sippy cup, magna doodle, books, music for the 2 year old and the baby is just starting to get interested in toys. What would you do? This is usually the most stressful part of my day. Please help!!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I have ZERO experience in this matter, but reading your post, it seems like driving together might be better for everyone. Before investing in a larger car, perhaps you could start making the commute together and see if things improve even a little. Since you are teachers and have to do prep work outside of school hours, having the extra time at school certainly won't hurt. Its probably worth the extra time at daycare to have a better driving experience for everyone - if nothing else - another adult in the car will mean you aren't having to brave the drive alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.