Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really really miss my DH. Or more like, I miss going out with him and him alone. My FIL used to watch the kids but has gotten too ill for that.
I've asked around (at the playground etc). I've talked to the local MOMs group and asked for help. I called a local nanny college (from a flyer THEY put up) and noone ever calls me back. The local high schools do not allow advertising.

The teenagers across the street watched the neighbors kids (4 and 2) all during the October break. I called them to set up a time but am always put off. Finally agree to come last Wednesday when their dad (their parents are great btw) got them to call me. My kids are 5 and 1 (almost 2). I offered to pay more (than across the street). The girl is supposed to come on Wednesday for a couple of hours (4-6:30) so we can see how it goes. DH and I were just going to go to the restaurant and have appetizers and margaritas. Sadly, I was really looking forward to this. (my life is sad sad sad)
She doesn't show. I don't call her because - at this point - if she doesn't have the responsibility to show up I can't imagine she'll be competent with my kids.

Where is the KARMA!!! I was a GREAT babysitter. I didn't let them watch much t.v. I interacted with the kids. I brought toys from my house to play with, planned activities, took them to the park. I'd check on them every 5 or 10 minutes when they were sleeping. Oh, yeah and I'd get bored when they went to bed and clean their parents kitchen. I even mopped the floor.

I'm willing to pay $10/hr for 2 kids. I want someone non-harmful, competent and WILLING (like, likes kids) - how do I find this person?? I'm in Arizona (the East Valley)
know anyone??????
HELP

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I would just start asking anyone you know who they use. ask people you don't know. I also have a problem geting my babysitter to call me back. we love her but she doesn't return phone calls.

an option weh ave here is the local college has a list of all thier social work and education majors who want work experiance. it is a comprehensive list with things like thier schedule, are they loal, do they drive, CPR certified, bi-lingual, what thier major is, etc . . . .

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
I would just start asking anyone you know who they use. ask people you don't know. I also have a problem geting my babysitter to call me back. we love her but she doesn't return phone calls.

an option weh ave here is the local college has a list of all thier social work and education majors who want work experiance. it is a comprehensive list with things like thier schedule, are they loal, do they drive, CPR certified, bi-lingual, what thier major is, etc . . . .
Thank you. I will try the local college.
I put a plea out on our local yahoo group (AP) and a mother responded. But I know nothing about her. Any ideas about what to do to ensure she's a safe person to leave the kids with? She suggested a play date first and I agreed to that.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Fancy Pants, I had to laugh about what you said about "where is the Karma?!" I was a babysitter like you described too, actually looked forward to seeing the children, planned great things with them, would convince them *not* to watch TV and instead play some creative game with me... etc.

And no one even close to that is popping up in my life, now that I have my own little one. but I probably haven't done a very good job looking either - there are some good ideas given here

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Is your five your old in school? If so, how about asking his/her teacher is available? Or asking around the school to see if there are other teachers available? Teachers don't make a ton of money and sometimes they are happy to do regualr babysitting to increase their monthly income, plus you know they have experience with children and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I second the college idea. See if there is a nursing program. the type of person attracted to nursing is often attracted to caring for kids. In my nursing school people used to post help wanted signs for babysitters on our bulletin board. You'd have to go interview with them first and everything. most students could use some money! Just go to the nursing department and ask the secretary if you can post something.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I'm an education student at ASU east and if you call the college office, you may be able to have them post on the message board that goes to all education majors. We all have to do a certain number of community service hours to graduate, so if someone needs hours, you may be able to get someone for free.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Borrow your friends' sitters. Surely some of your Mom friends have sitters they like & grust?

We have an awesome sitter. Now, she and her younger sister sit for 4 !!!! of our other friends, too.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I think there are a few AZ moms here who are able to do some sitting, but I don't remember who. Have you tried posting on the Finding your tribe?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FancyPants
Thank you. I will try the local college.
I put a plea out on our local yahoo group (AP) and a mother responded. But I know nothing about her. Any ideas about what to do to ensure she's a safe person to leave the kids with? She suggested a play date first and I agreed to that.

yeah, just start getting together and being her friend. you may not want her for a babysitter but hey you never waste yoru time meeting someone new and having a god cup of coffe.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
College: education, early childhood development majors often love the chance to play with the kiddos

Youth Service Bureau: not sure if that's a local thing, but they offer babysitting and CPR courses for teens here and provide a connection service for sitters and parents (the do hookups for yardwork too!)

Trade: maybe offer to trade time with another couple?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ooo. now you're making me nervous!! I *am* that good karma babysitter now (unfortunately in NJ) and I always figured I'd find someone as awesome as I am
to watch my kids someday... is it really that hard?

But seriously, when I was in college I taught at the on-campus preschool and there was a list of us "student assistants" who were available for babysitting, and of course we already knew the kids. Any chance your dc's school would have something like that? I second the idea of asking his teacher.

Good luck and have fun on your date!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I really like the trading nights with another couple idea!

What about a co-op thing? I've heard of that, never participated in one myself. But it's something like a bunch of parents get together and set up a system for childcare.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Seconding the idea of the babysitting circle... we're not in one now, but we used to be and it worked well for us.
We use the awesome childcare worker from the boys kids club- and he is truly brilliant. Childcare pays such crap money that often people do a bit of babysitting on the side.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Look for classified ads in your local newspaper and flyers in grocery stores, etc. Ask a potential sitter for references, and ask whether he/she has any first aid training.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
In addition to the sources already mentioned...

Are you involved in a church or other house of worship? That gives you two places to search -- the youth group (for teens) and the nursery attendants (for slightly older sitters). If you aren't a member of a church, you can still call your local one. I know that our church only uses people for the nursery who have had a background check, are first aid/cpr trained and that sort of thing.

Do you or anyone you know use a daycare or preschool? If so, the teachers or aids are often available and they too should be screened and background checked. You can always call a local one and have them post a notice in the staff room. Our best sitter was the aid at my DDs daycare (DD is now in preschool but we still love the sitter).

If you are really desparate, are their babysitter services in your area? I only use them for times when I can't find anyone else because they are so expensive, but I have had reasonable luck with them.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Second asking at a daycare that you know about and like. Most of dd's teachers are willing to babysit and do a great job. They're trained in all of the courses already and for us the added advantage is she already knows them and is excited to see them when they do come.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.