Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(x-posted in country living)

How do I make compost tea? I have finished compost from 2 years ago and half finish compost from last year (all frozen at the moment). I also have a large pile of chicken manure and hay.

Can I make a homemade fertilizer/plant food for starting seeds now? I thought of using dried nettles and making a strong infusion since it is so mineral and vitamin rich. Any other ideas or additions?

How do I compost with chicken manure? How long does it take? Do I have to do anything special to it? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'd love to hear some responses as well. We don't have chickents (yet) but we do have guinea pigs (see my sig!). I've just been throwing all their waste (poo, pine pellet bedding, hay, etc) in our compost bin and on a big pile in the back after they filled up the compost bin. What, if anything would be needed to add to it to help with the composting? It seems to me that the hay takes the longest to break down.

~Julia

·
Registered
469 Posts
Take some old pantyhose and stuff it with manure and stick it into a 5 gallon bucket of water and let it soak for several days. Then you should have yummy manure tea ready for fertilizing. I am sure it would work with compost and anything else similar just as well.

Nettles are great as well. We boil them and take the liquid and use it as plant food and then compost the rest. Also, having a pregnant brain f8art, but I think I read something about using comfrey in a similar way.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
chicken manure needs to be well composted -- i can tell you that. don't know too much more about it except if you use it too soon you can "burn" your plants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.