Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
yes, they are fabulous!!!<br>
I used one while living in Whitehorse a few years back and loved it!<br>
THey are not messy as some would have you believe and they are really easy to maintain. You can get either an electric or non electric version and there are a few companies around that sell them. If you try to go to the Home Show in fbks in April (I think that's when it is) you can find tonnes out about them.<br>
Good luck - trust me though they beat an outhouse for late night journeys and though I didn't have my little one then, I would have loved that over an outdoor potty training situation. Also great for if you get sick. No one wants to be outside at 40- when they are ill!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I've heard nothing but fabulous things... provided you have adequate ventilation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We rented a house with a composting toilet and I didn't mind it too much. DH hated it - he said he'd rather have an outhouse outside versus having one inside. You do have to be careful not to kill the microbes that compost your poo. Its actually recommended that you not pee in the toilet b/c that can make the composting environment too acidic. DH peed out the backdoor - I didn't; I used the toilet.<br><br>
Good ventilation is key - It never stunk in our house, but I've been in homes where it has stunk to high heavens.<br><br>
Also - I would recommend getting the non-electric toilet. Prior to us moving into the house the electric composting toilet caught on fire. No one was home and the neighbors - about a quarter of a mile away - could hear the fire alarm going off in the house. They ran over and put the fire out. Bless their hearts - burning plastic and burning poo - now that must have really stunk!<br><br>
If you have any specific questions about the toilet and our experiences with it, feel free...<br><br>
Erica

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>EricaLee</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Also - I would recommend getting the non-electric toilet. Prior to us moving into the house the electric composting toilet caught on fire. No one was home and the neighbors - about a quarter of a mile away - could hear the fire alarm going off in the house. They ran over and put the fire out. Bless their hearts - burning plastic and burning poo - now that must have really stunk!<br></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
You know now that you mention it, I think that there was a house fire in Fairbanks a few years ago that was also related to a composting toilet malfunction. I can't seem to remember for sure if it was a composting toilet or one of those poop burner toilets.<br><br>
I dunno, maybe we just need to come up with a better honey bucket solution for you 3 yo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts