Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share this fun thing we've been doing-- we took an old PC from the 90s (we had one lying around that had problems). You can also get them for free or next to free-- it doesn't have to be working.

We removed the case from the CPU (the main box part) and took everything apart. We then worked on identifying each piece (using google and a nerdy friend of mine). I labeled each piece with permanent pen.

The kids can now hold the different cards, wires, the motherboard, and examine them.

I don't know much about computers but was able to do this with a phillip's head screwdriver. The kids had so much fun! And we are only halfway done.

You could also do this with other pieces of electronic "junk--" I recently threw away a stereo and am kicking myself for it...

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My husband did that to his dad's computer when he was about 8 years old. He always woke up before everyone else (he's a freak, lol) and one day decided to take apart his dad's (working) computer on the kitchen table. By the time his parents woke up, it was all in pieces (which FREAKED them out!) But then he put it back together and it worked for a couple more years! It's what got him into computers and now he's a computer programmer.

Even if we don't homeschool (we're currently debating) we'll always have a computer around for the kids to take apart. It's great fun for all ages (even my almost 20 month old enjoys watching daddy take them apart, lol.)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I just had to click on your post to figure out if you were talking about the human equivalent of a Virtual Frog Dissection or exploring the inner workings of a deceased PC. I figured the odds were about even.

Miranda

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is such a cool idea!!!

When I do this with my kids, do I have to do any precautions to avoid heavy metal exposure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts