Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all computer chess games alike? If you have one you really like that is kid friendly, which one is it?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What level are you looking for?

For absolute beginners, Learning to Play Chess with Fritz and Chesster and its sequel are a good choice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I noticed a Lego chess PC game at Half Price Books the other day. Haven't tried it, but it certainly looks interesting.

Here's Lego's product page for it. Click on "next" to get lots of screenshots.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
We liked Chessmaster (we have an older version, "5500" I'm not sure what the latest version is.)

There are tutorials on the disc, and during play, you can ask the computer for advice about the best move to make. If you attempt to make an illegal move, a box pops up and explains why you can't do that. I don't know how this compares to other programs (do they all do these things?) But everyone in our family has played this and enjoyed it.

If you go to gamespot.com you can read reviews on various games.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan
If you go to gamespot.com you can read reviews on various games.
I had no idea you could do this! Cool!

Both kids can play chess, but one like to play more often that the other 3 members of our family put together. She could use more work on strategy and planing a few moves in advance, but she is pretty good at looking at the board and seeing what her options are for current move.

But, she is still a little kid and her favorite computer game is Zoo Tycoon II, which kinda tells you where she is in life.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We have the LEGO chess. It's fun because when you make a move the pieces on the board smash each other or do something interesting as when you are playing with cowboys and indians. Also it explains your move and moves you want to make.

My son and I have a plastic Harry Potter chess set like in "The Chamber of Secrets" and we play every day!

We also bought a 34 year old childrens chess book from Goodwill that explains the game well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts