Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so right now we own a Mac mini. A mac mini that is so ancient and outdated that we have no choice but to replace it with a new computer (so old we can't even upgrade the OS). The question is: what to buy now? For Christmas, instead of giving each other gifts (dh and I) we are putting that money towards this purchase, as well as asking for "donations" in lieu of gifts from our parents. Even so, we are working with a limited budget. So, we like our Mac. We're used to it. We like that it doesn't get a million and one viruses like our VERY ancient previous PC used to (is this still an issue with PCs?). We mostly use it for internet-related purposes (email, browsing, MDC, downloading tv shows, kid's games etc). We also like iPhoto (does PC have something similar?). We sometimes need a word-processing program. We also use Finale (music writing program). That's what I know. What I have no idea about is computers in general, and more specifically what computer is best for us. It needs to a) not break the bank (I know PCs are cheaper), and b) meet all of our needs (which maybe includes that we already know and like Mac.. and Mac seems to be a bit better for music-writing purposes). Dh had the crazy (?) idea of just buying an iPad and somehow hooking it up to our current computer and/or keyboard, screen and mouse (not sure what he was going on about to be honest, lol!). Is that even possible? Or desirable??? lol... Ok, computer geeks.... help me out here. Take me by the hand and take me computer shopping! ;)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>Sorry for the no formatting in the previous post... MDC somehow did away with my paragraphs!</p>

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
<p>I'd get an imac, and if that is too expensive buy the new mac mini. I do love my ipad but it's not a desktop replacement. Yes you can use bluetooth keyboard with the ipad but like I said, it's still not a desktop replacement.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts