Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But how to get around it? Our phone service is hooked up through the router, DH says there's no way he's going back to a regular phone company, so turning it off basically turns off our phones. I've tried to just unplug it at night, but sometimes plugging it back in in the morning screw up our internet connection and DH gets hopping mad about that. What can I do?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Count me in for a concern about this, too. Anytime I hear/see the word 'wireless' it sends up major red flags for me! I remember reading somewhere, not too long ago, about the possibility of cell phones, as well as landline wireless phones, being required to carry a warning label... much like alcohol and cigarettes. And dh is just itching to go everything wireless in our home... UGH....

·
Registered
550 Posts
subbing

this is something that has been nagging me at the back of my mind.... I feel like I should be worried about this, but haven't really given it a lot of thought. We don't have a wireless router, but I do worry a bit about our cell phones. I can remember way back when cell phones weren't widely used, and everyone would talk about how they give people cancer. But now everyone has one, and no one says anything about that! Have they gotten less dangerous, or is this one of those situations (like driving a car) that is really dangerous and bad for your health, but no one worries about it becuase we all use one every day???

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Our router is in the basement. Since it's wireless it doesn't have to be close to where we are (though truthfully we only installed it there because of proximity of the outlet and not wanting to have the boxes sitting in view). I'm not sure about your phone setup though, would that mean that the router has to be close to where you are to use them?

Frankly, there are so many wireless signals around you can't avoid them. At least here you can't, heck, we can pick up our neighbours' wireless networks when ours has an outage. I think the best option is to not have it right by your bed or sofa (or wherever you spend a lot of time) so there's some "buffer".

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think about this too, but I have resigned myself to that fact there is very little I can do about it unless I want to build a spaceship and move to another planet. There are SO many sources of electromagnetic radiation that we are bombarded with. Even moving to another planet wouldn't completely solve the problem because EMR is given off by stars. I think, though, that if they decided to build a huge power line too close to my home I would move. Other than that, though, I don't know what I can do.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Not to mention the EMs and all kinds of other radiation put out by our very own star. Plus the increased radiation a body is exposed to when flying in upper elevations, and the radiations of outer space.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah but our bodies have evolved over thousands of millenia to solar radiation, our cells probably work in sync with it. Meanwhile, household electromagnetic radiation, probably wreaks havoc on the electrical potential of our cells (ions moving in and out of membranes). I've been researching gemstones and the properties they supposedly confer on the body but haven't found any one in particular. A lot of emf protection devices out there but who knows about their efficacy. A lot of them do seem to be made of quartz, which I think is readily available at craft stores and Walmart.
On the cell phone thing, the Environmental Working Group has a list on their website of how much radiation different models of phones give off. The government has set some upper limit to how much radiation a cell phone can give off and a lot of models just barely miss the cutoff. I think the people who say cell phones are completly safe are the same people who write on quackwatch.com which basically sniffs at everything except mainstream medicine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.