Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 11 months old and he has had green, stingy, skunk smelling poop for the last 4 days. He has 4-5 filled diapers before noon (we get up at 7:30a). He had a fever for 2 of those days not consecutively though.<br><br>
I think he may be teething...? he is drooly, chews on his fingers, is refusing solids, wanting to nurse all the time, has horrendous diaper rash. I feel so bad - I have given him frozen wash cloths, teething tablets, lots of burts bees diaper ointment....<br><br>
My question is really about the poop, should I be concerned because it smells so much like a pungent skunk? Or is this something other mamas have had experience with?<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hmmm...you may want to consider the possibility that your ds may have a stomach bug. That is what it sounds like to me. The green is ok, but the smell and amount may indicate a little sickness. If the fever does not get dangerously high and he keeps nursing so that he isn't dehydrated I wouldn't worry too much. His system may be getting some bug out of there. If you are too concerned I would call the pedi and ask about his symptoms. Otherwise, I would monitor his temp, fluid loss through poo, and nurse him as much as you can. Remember, I am not a doc so if you feel you need to, call or take him in.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
green poop that stinks point to rotovirus. ds had it last month. He also had a low grade fever for 3 days. And he was miserable too. If he starts vomiting - go to emergency, otherwise just let him drink/nurse as much as possible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yep, I was thinking rotovirus too. If it is rotovirus, he'll have diarrhea for up to 2 weeks, but it will get progressively better each day. There's no treatment for it other than just keeping him hydrated. Oh and that poop can be really caustic, so take all the diaper rash precautions you can. Poor guy, hope he's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much mamas!! I was also thinking it may be a virus as well. I am monitoring his temp and he is nursing as much as he wants, also giving him water when he doesn't want me.<br><br>
Anyone know how long this will be if it is the rotavirus? But again, thanks for all the advice!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts