Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been reading and searching for anything to point me in the right direction but of course am welcome at this point to anything any wise mamas have.<br>
Our son who is 8 has struggled a bit for the last two years trying to 'keep up' with his peers. He has been described as 'less mature, dreamy, sensitive, sweet, caring:... along with not on the same level and steadily being left<br>
behind in math and reading and music. He has recieved a little extra support in the way of a specialized teacher who worked on his fine and gross motors and one thing that stands out still is that his left and right have not yet fully integrated. He has improved in most areas but the teacher is concerned that he can not push him harder as ds is getting frustrated and tired. He does get tired easily also. When we work with him at home he will not remember something that was just told and we wonder if that is anxiety as I suffer from anxiety and always have.<br><br>
There is prob more i could say but basically i am stuck thinking maybe SID or Highly sensitive ( not so much) or another learning disability. I know i will have him tested for things but not sure exactly what besides the SID and whatever else they normally test for.<br><br>
Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. I am overwhelmed because i want to figure it all out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well you have to ask yourself is he really just a year or so behind? If so holding him back might help boys especially used to be routinely 'held back' for not being socially/emmotionally/academically on the same level.<br><br>
I'd give some serious consideration to 'failing him' he might get that pick up in self esteem if it comes easier. Get him evaluated but even with a LD, or other dx you might want to keep him back or try him out in a lower class just to see how it goes. I know many of my friends many of which with no LD who were 'failed' in grade 2...for some reason that's the year maybe because of reading/math if you don't get that year the next one will frustrate you even more..<br><br>
I think too you should look into motivation therapies for him I mean wheres the pay off when trying so hard only gets you to medicocre land? Also I'd think of things he can do well in his spare time, not concentrating on more school. But if its not sinking in then defn get him evaluated fully, sometimes eyesight issues , hearing, etc can wreak havoc on concentration. Gross motor skills can get him playing sports, throwing balls, bean bags. I never picked up fine or even moderately fine motor skills....<br><br>
and a full medical evaluation to rule out any anemia etc.<br><br>
But honestly I think he is loosing the drive to try harder, brainstorm what might motivate him and set up star charts, goals, throw mini parties for achievements? Also ask yourself if you are taking the joy out of learning from him by being worried about him being slower? That can be disheartening for kids if they hear about their progress...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts