Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here I am the last cycle before starting bcp for the fet, and, as far as I know, it is 13 dpo (I didn't temp, because I can never remember to do that, but just checked my cervix, and am fairly sure of when I o'd).

Anywhoo, I had some light brown/pink spotting on the tp early this morning. This is happened a couple of times before, the first couple of months after I weaned dd, but the last month or two has been like before I was pg with her, and, as far as I can remember, this did not happen while I was nursing her. So, my question for you ladies is, does spotting at 13 dpo constitute a lp defect? Should I be concerned that this is a new problem I have developed that will prevent me from conceiving again?

I called the my clinic, and the nurse there really could not answer my question and is supposedly getting back to me, which of course raised red flags with me over whether I really want to continue with that clinic, as that seemed like a pretty simple question to me. So, here I am, asking the experts!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I think as long as there is no spotting or bleeding before 12 dpo- then your lp is OK. It is perfectly normal to have one day of spotting before AF, however if you have multiple days of spotting before actual flow that is bad (sorry I am not sure what all it indicates, I just know I read that it wasn't good). Assuming AF starts soon, I think you will be fine to proceed with this cycle.
: for you!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laura.

Well, if this follows the pattern I have had before, the spotting will stop (it did after about an hour and a half) and I will see nothing more of AF until tomorrow or Monday, when I will start spotting again for up to a day, then have full flow. It used to be I would just start AF, maybe with a few hours of spotting before hand, and now I get this freaky hour or so of spotting a day or two before, then nothing till af.

I did do some research on pre-menstrual spotting, and it looks like it either indicates endo, which I am pretty sure I don't have, or low progesterone, which could be a problem, but which would likely be corrected by the shots, yes?

My clinic has not called back yet. Hmph.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I would guess you are right, that it is due to a drop in progesterone, and I would think that the shots would correct it, too.
Have you ever had your progesterone levels checked?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they checked everything before dd, and all was fine then, but of course that was almost three years ago now.

If the fet does not work they will want to do it all again, I am sure.

In the meantime I will advise them of the spotting and make sure it is not a concern for the FET.

My other thought is that I have read it can take up to six months for your body to correct itself hormonally after you stop nursing, so, as we are only three months out from that, it could well be that my hormones are still working themselves out. I did tell them dd had only been weaned a few months, and they didn't see it as a red flag, but I will ask about it again to be sure.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You are definately right that having only just weaned a few months ago could mean weird hormone levels- I actually weaned 9 months ago, and I'm still getting my hormones back where they are supposed to be. I think too many doctors are ignorant of how nursing affects a woman's body.
I am thinking good thoughts for you and your FET.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Laura.

Well, all signs of af have gone now, and I am squarely back in pms mode. Weird, but it is almost like the hormones dipped and then came back up.

My clinic never called back, which thrills me to no end. Fortunately, I have a really good relationship with the head nurse of the IVF program from our first cycle there, so I know I can call and ask for her on Monday. And I definitely plan to mention I was left hanging all weekend!
:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I didn't post earlier because I had no idea about what you were asking...but I think its pretty lousy that nobody took 5 minutes to get back to you. That wouldn't have been a huge stretch on their end and would have meant something to you. That kind of *##* is just not considerate!
Also, after reading these last few posts, I'm wondering if my having only recently weaned my son may have affected my 2 failed ivf's. He is almost 4, and I would say was pretty much weaned only a month before my first cycle in March ( I lied to the Dr ). So even with this last cycle, in July, it has only been 5-6 months.
Maybe there's hope for me yet!
I hope things work out for you....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I am not pleased at the clinic dropping the ball. This is a new place, as the clinic where we conceived dd shut down, and we followed our dr., whom I adore. I am hoping that a well-placed word to the nurse in the IVF dept will change things a bit.

And I am absolutely going to press her on having just weaned dd in April. I want to make sure that this is not going to threaten this cycle. I would hate to put it off a few months, as I don't have too many good months left fertility wise, but better that than just wasting the money!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts