·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr Hale, the world expert on medications and breastmilk said this in 2004:

Quote:
From page 23 of my book.
----------
Unfortunately, there are no data on the transfer of exogenously supplied LTP or 5-HTP into human milk. For instance, it is not apparently known if high maternal plasma levels would produce high milk levels. While it is true human milk contains higher levels of LTP, presumably to stimulate serotonin levels in the infant's CNS, it is not known if high maternal doses would likewise produce high milk levels. Because the infant's neurologic development is incredibly sensitive to serotonin levels, and because we do not know if supplementation with LTP or 5-HTP could produce high milk levels leading to overdose in the infant, this author does not recommend the use of L-tryptophan or 5-HTP supplementation in breastfeeding mothers until we know corresponding milk levels.

Tom Hale, Ph.D.
Also:
The manufacturer reports that 5-HTP can suppress lactation.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
There is a page in there or a section where she says none of the remedies in there are okay for nursing moms. Some here have done them anyway, but in light of this post, I would be very cautious.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Dr. Hale is NOT saying that 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan are unsafe for nursing moms. He's saying that they haven't been tested as well as SSRIs and therefore he personally is more comfortable prescribing the pharmaceutucals.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
"Dr. Hale is NOT saying that 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan are unsafe for nursing moms. He's saying that they haven't been tested as well as SSRIs and therefore he personally is more comfortable prescribing the pharmaceutucals."-- quote

Yes, and I agree with him.

Catholicapmom, I do not have my copy as I loaned it out... but I just remember getting the jist that it would not be a good idea to take them. I also talked to someone at her clinic and another person who they recommended I speak to.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by catholicapmom
She suggests 5-HPT, L-tryptophan or SAM-e. Is SAM-e safe?
FWIW, my MW recently suggested I switch from Zoloft to Sam-E after the baby is born (slowly and under medical supervision, of course). She said it's safe . . .

I don't plan to switch given that Zoloft is only $5/month with insurance and nutritionals are not covered . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.