Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on sending my son to a Waldorf school soon. I am just concerned that we might be the only family to .t.v. and junk food etc. I am trying to change our habits but it's hard when your the only one who follows Waldorf here.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Will anyone even know? My oldest DD goes to a Steiner school and I have no idea whether most of the other families in her class watch TV or eat junk food.

We watch "TV" (more than I would like) but only via the internet which allows us to be more selective and no ads.

Depending on your definition of junk food, we probably have some of that as well. But we abide by the lunch box policy of the school :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will anyone even know? My oldest DD goes to a Steiner school and I have no idea whether most of the other families in her class watch TV or eat junk food.

We watch "TV" (more than I would like) but only via the internet which allows us to be more selective and no ads.

Depending on your definition of junk food, we probably have some of that as well. But we abide by the lunch box policy of the school :)

Oh I was just thinking if he made friends and they went over to each others house.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ah, I see. I still think it will be ok.. Don't turn the TV on and don't feed them junk food and no-one will be any the wiser ;-)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Once you're in waldorf school, you will adjust to this stuff to the extent you want to, since you would like to be less of a tv consumer, but you're the only one in your family... it really helps to have a community to support that. When we have waldorf playdates, rules depend on the kid, By now the 10 year olds are on the same page about what they watch, not about video games. My son has one, ONE waldorf friend left who does not play video games... With my first grader, I won't flip out if my kid watched tv at a playdate, but the ones that I know don't do much tv at home, don't get it at my house either, I just tell them this is a play date, you should play, you can all go home and watch tv as much as your parents let you, but this time is for playing.
You will learn about the importance of healthy real food in some parent events I'm sure, and you take it or leave it. You may want to do healthy snack and lunch for your kid anyways, even if it wasn't a waldorf school, when they are starving and thats all you're offering, they will eat it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts