Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I only had to do an elimination diet for a short time to find my ds was allergic to dairy, BUT I have a friend whose 9 month-old (pretty much EBF still) seems to have underlying allergies. She's done an elimination diet with the top 8 allergens, but the problems don't seem to be going away. They're sleep deprived beyond belief and really want to get to the bottom of the issues and figure out once and for all if it's allergy-related.<br><br>
Anyone have very concrete diet plans (weekly menus, recipes, schedule of introducing new foods, etc) they used when doing a total elimination diet, or links to plans, etc? I've been searching MDC and can't find "here's how to do it" guide.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Nancy,<br><br>
Unfortunately the top eight are just a "best bet" list. Kids can be allergic to so many weird things. Mine is allergic to rice, for example.<br><br>
Before she tries to eliminate any other foods, see if the baby has simple reflux. Reflux is sometimes associated with allergies, sometimes not. My dd has both but the don't appear to necessarily be related. Even on a total elimination diet of elemental formula and 3 safe foods that we had tested, she still has reflux. Have they treated the baby for reflux yet? Talk to the doctor first, but usually the first line of attack is to give Mylanta in small doses throughout the day and see if the baby feels better after a few days. If so, usually Zantac is the next med to try. If that doesn't work (it doesn't for a lot of kids) there is Prevacid and Prilosec. The last ones are what worked for my daughter and it was like a miracle for her pain.<br><br>
The Dr. Sears website has an elimination diet menu. Just do a search for it.<br><br>
I hope she gets to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their ds most definitely has reflux and seems to be doing to some reverse cycling, maybe because of the pain of reflux during the day. It's gotten better, but there seem to be things triggering it diet-wise that they just can't figure out. I THINK he was on Zantac for a while, but not the stronger stuff. Beyond that... I don't know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts