Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people's pet peeve is that others feel like a pregnant belly is public property. I would hate perfect strangers coming up and touching my belly, but I've found that I love it when aquaintances and friends give my belly a friendly pat or touch. I expected to bristle at it, but I've found that it's so nurturing and loving of a gesture. My parents aren't very touchy feely so they don't do it, but 1 or 2 friends and even casual acquaintances have. So...anyone else like this or am I the only one?
:

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Me too. I don't have a belly yet this time but I enjoyed it in my previous pregnancies

Keri

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It depended on my mood lol. I'm kinda
when I'm pregnant so..lol maybe not
:

·
Registered
165 Posts
love it! I don't even mind complete strangers wanting to touch it, which is odd for me as I'm usually not that much of a 'people person' when it comes to people I don't know. Weird eh?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The only people I like touching my belly are DH and dd. I get really irritable when anyone else does it. Both my mom and MIL do it without asking and it drives me insane. But I'm also very sensitive about my personal "bubble" of space...

·
Registered
937 Posts
I love it! I also love how everyone makes you feel like a goddess! I am usually pretty shy around people I don't know well, but I love the attention being pregnant brings!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
depends on the stranger. some are ok paired with some days that i am ok but mostly strangers can stay out of my personal space exspecially since ds is always with me i feel that i have to protect him/his personal space also.

friends and family on the other hand are ok. dh never touches my belly
but hes not really that kind of person. ds is always trying to find my stuck out bellybutton
since he just learned that body part and trys to help rub lotion on my belly too. of course i don't mind him touching his momma!! i don't have a lot of friends that i see very often so when i do they always ask about everything, touch the belly and such....one was sooooo excited just to feel hiccups...he had asked all night if the baby was kicking and it was cool to see that he was excited about it.
but my family is all far away they had a month back in may to touch the belly and then the next time it will be the baby. i wish i had more friends and family around to share the joy!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hmm, I do not forsee me liking strangers touching my belly. To me, thas a very sacred area and its too close to my "untouchables", so no, i wouldnt feel comfortable with that.

I also dont like it when people like to reach out and touch my hair, or just being in my general personal space, so I guess the same will go for my belly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Last time, it really depended on my mood. So I have a t-shirt that has the warning not to touch today because I'm in a pregnant mood.

This time so far I love it, and if they are really interested I've found the baby and let them feel the butt

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2mama
I love it! I also love how everyone makes you feel like a goddess! I am usually pretty shy around people I don't know well, but I love the attention being pregnant brings!

heh, maybe this is why I like it so much...I was also really antsy about "showing" as this is my first I still don't really show too too much even now at 25 wks, esp with my loose clothing. I guess also I just didn't imagine being pregnant (at least this soon) so I'm really excited and obsessive about it

·
Registered
625 Posts
I LOVE it too, but maybe because no strangers have tried -- just friends and family. I think it's the coolest thing and I love to share. My sister in law is the only one who has the patience and desire to leave her hand there for minutes waiting for a good kick, and I love her for it!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
For me it also depends on the stranger and they absolutely have to ask first. It drives me nuts when strangers touch without asking. However, I love it when friends and family want to feel the baby!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts