Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I remember there being a thread last summer about going coverless. Everyone was talking about going coverless, about the things they did coverless. I thought people were nuts talking about going coverless. Who wants to go coverless? Afterall, coverless means:

1 - Your lap is always wet
2 - There is poo dripping on your floor
3 - All that cute wool is going to waste
4 - Did I mention the wet lap?
5 - Wet spots on the floor cuz you live in Italy and everything is tiled!
6 - DH complained everytime I tried the coverless thing cuz he got a wet handful of pee when picking her up!

So I go my merry way all winter with longies and whatnot. No coverless baby for me! The tiled floors are COLD! And then summer comes and Dh thinks the wool is too hot for her (
) so he refuses to use. And then I get lazy and just change her diaper with no cover cuz she pees so much I am going to have to change it right away and that is one less thing for me to unsnap or tie!

Turns out it isn't that bad!

Now she is coverless 90% of the time. We do naps coverless, outside time coverless, inside time coverless... we have gone to the park with no cover, to the store!!! And today when we took a break from the pool to get DS something to snack on, we did the food court coverless.

And to make things even better, I got my one dozen Mudpie OV fitteds in her awesome prints which make going coverless even better!

I do feel bad for my wool, but oh man, am I ever loving the ease of going coverless, wet laps and all! Ok, wait, it is easy except for the amount of time I spend mopping and sweeping the floor. Her wet diapers do a good job of picking up the animal hair though :LOL
:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
In early spring I had a vision of all of the wool that was going to coordinate with dd's shirts and dresses. Time rolled by and while it slowly warmed up I just never put a cover on her out of sheer laziness and the what's the point factor so I am right there with you. She is growing out of all of her wool and I have no plans to get more right now. My mind is instead wandering to the toasty wool pants for fall and winter.

As far as the floors and stuff go we have been pretty lucky unless she makes a super pee. I have also gotten good with always being in tune for the first sign of warmth in my lap. I have perfected the hold baby and move legs manuver in lightening speed.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have been thinking of trying coverless again since Ethan is walking this summer (last try he wasn't and it was a wet-lap fest
)

but I am a total chicken
:
should i do it?

actually, he tends to pee a half-dollar sized hole through the front of his dipes...maybe I could just tape a piece of fleece over that spot :LOL

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I totally agree with you. I love wool, but I found that during the summer here it is so hot (I know, it breathes, but it is still hot over a PF or fitted!). So during the day we go coverless and I love it. I never get puddles anywhere, but sometimes he will get things a little bit damp if I have not changed him. I try to change my ds after every pee, but he never gets me soaked. Since he is a boy only the front gets wet.

So I am a coverless addict with some beautiful wool that sits in his room looking lonely. But boy does he stay cool in just a PF.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hehe....you are so funny Kate! :LOL

I don't mind going coverless. I really only put a pair of wool shorts or a soaker on her when we A) go out and I want her to match B) when I take pictures of her and C) when I just want to pet the wool

I'm looking forward to fall and winter this year since it will be our first with Autumn and I want to have plenty of longies and wool pants for her outfits...she will live in them...of this I am absolutely certain

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wasn't too sure about the coverless thing either, but have started doing it a few times a day. I really like it, but also feel sorry for my poor wool

I mostly do it when she's crawling around on the floor, and she always lets me know when she's wet anyway!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Camryn is coverless ALL the time. I can't bear to cover up the cute little prints and velour with a stinken cover. I change her after every pee and she rarely leaks to the outside of the fitted. Even if she does it's only slightly damp on the outside...definately not enough to make a puddle anywhere or even a wet spot on my lap. So it works for us!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
My baby is napping coverless right now. It is 104 today, and I just cant bear to put more on him than I have too.
When its not so hot, we just keep on using our wool. And I do put a cover on to go out, but I suppose an extra doubler in there and a cover wouldnt be neccessary. BUt then again, I dont go anywhere when its this hot!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This is why I sold a bunch of wool, we are mostly coverles too. I just change his fitted a lot, and he fights changes so it's nice to only have the one set of snaps to deal with. He's a heavy wetter though so I'm afraid to try it during naps or outings, I still use a cover or just an aio then.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Actually, wool isn't as hot as you think. It's a natural fiber and actually adjusts for the temperature. The warmest sweaters I've had were acrylic or other manmade fibers. I knit myself a number of pairs of wool socks last winter. They're very pretty so I love to wear them. We've had 90 degree days and I've still been able to wear them in my Birkenstock clogs without any problem. I was so sure they'd make my feet cook, but my feet have felt just fine.

We do go coverless at home just because it's simpler. You just learn to check for wetness before you pick them up. For covers, we use hand-knit wool shorts exclusively. DS gets terrible rash with anything else and the wool allows the diaper to breathe and evaporate off a little if I don't notice he's we right away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Car goes coverless at home all the time (unless her outfit snaps under the diaper). I'm afraid to try it at naps though, because she's an occasional flooder. We just started this in the warm weather (once she learned to walk) - and now all she does is walk around all day, so not much chance for wet spots on the floor. She only sits down to eat, lol!

I agree w/ not wanting to cover up a cute diaper, too! It's a shame to cover up my dip-dye Bottombumpers, Fussybutt and Harleyz. I also have some too cute Cherry Bomb Babies and Tykies that demand to be seen!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We usually go coverless at home and get a cover and pants for going out , but because of the heat lately, she's been going diaperless at home and just a diaper out.

We wore justa diaper and a Tee to the library yesterday. The librarian said, "Oh those penguins on the back of her pants are cute" heh-heh

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

We've been going coverless more and more lately. DS only wets the front of his diaper anyway, so I don't really have to worry about wet floors or laps. I've gotten pretty good about feeling for wetness before I pick him up.

I do still use my wool shorts/soakers for naps and outings, but I don't put other clothes over them so I think they aren't too hot...

I've stopped knitting summer wool item though. I'm now saving my wool yarn for longies for this winter. I'd love to start knitting them now, but am terrified that he'd grow so much that they'd be too small by then!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you go coverless do you freak other peope out at all? Like if you have a friend over, do you put a cover on or let DC go coverless?

We have a few friend who would freak but I have one awesome friend who is used to it. She always does a hand check before she pics Kai up :LOL

When we were at the food court coverless I thought about how some people might freak out about it. But I am sure they thought her cute SOS was a swim diaper or something.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I can't wait to go coverless once my dd is mobil and upright. At 5 1/2months we usually have wet blankets, laps, and floors(thank goodness for hardwoods) when we go coverless. I don't think I'd have the courage to go OUT coverless but we'd go coverless at home and outside. But right now our wool is feeling loved!

Meg

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spatulagirl
When you go coverless do you freak other peope out at all? Like if you have a friend over, do you put a cover on or let DC go coverless?
i don't let her go coverless in front of people. already most people think i'm nuts for using cloth, if they picked her up and she was wet to the touch it would kind of ruin my argument!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
DD goes coverless as much as possible. Now she goes diaperless. So my wool and dipes just sit and sit...

I have so few dipes to wsh it is really sad--

DD now tells us when she is wet if we go to pick her up so that helps. She says, "Dada, no, peeeeeeeeee!"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.