Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the flea medication Confortis? It's taken orally on a monthly basis. We stopped using Advanatage and Frontline b/c our dog was throwing up after we put it on his skin. He seems to do a lot better with Confortis and there's no chemical on his fur (which is great since we have two small children). I still worry about putting chemicals in his body but we tried holostic ways to avoid fleas and none of them worked.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I generally prefer the topical treatments because they are not systemic (they stay in the fatty layer of the skin). However, if your dog has a reaction to topicals, then this would be a good alternative. Here is the product sheet for it for lots of info: http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/comfortis-product-label.pdf. There are some potential drug interactions so if your dog needs ivermectin for example, you'd want to be sure your vet was aware of your dog being on Comfortis and the potential interaction. Personally, although I work at a vet hospital and regularly encounter animals with fleas, I don't treat my pets preventatively. I will treat all of mine for 3-4 months with a topical on the rare occasion we get fleas in the house (has happened once in over 10 years). I just check them regularly with a flea comb and treat as needed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I do prefer the topicals too, but we started on Comfortis several months ago because DS pets our dog and climbs on her and I didn't want him coming in contact with the pesticide of a topical. Our dog has been doing quite well on the Comfortis. I just wish it offered tick protection too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.