Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. so i am trying to look at houses in different areas to see what we can get for under $125K and i see different "townships" in the indianapolis area. what are some of the safer townships? any ideas for narrowing down areas or staying away from what areas?<br><br>
we are looking for a home on 1 acre and would like to be in a generally safe area. we are in a horrible area of our town, so anything will be improvement! but really would like to feel safe. YKWIM.<br><br>
i am kind of thinking if we can't live in bloomington, then somewhere in indianapolis are to have lots of choices available for work for DH and me when i want to work sometimes, etc.<br><br>
any ideas? anyone have a map of indy they could scribble on and mail me? i will pay you for it and for shipping! like highlighting safe, nice areas and x-ing out generally not safe areas. especially if you live in indianapolis and know the areas? then when i am house hunting i can look at the map online and compare it and be like, maybe or no way!<br><br>
thanks guys.<br><br>
or if someone wants to be my tourguide one day when we are there in july maybe??

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had these same questions when we moved to Indy around 9 years ago. Here's what I can tell you. The townships are the outlying areas from the downtown area. Going around town there are Perry Township (that's where I live), Franklin Township, Warren Township, Washington Township, Pike Township, Wayne Township, Decatur Township. I may be missing some-this is just what I can think of in the true Indianapolis area. I know that Franklin is nice, but has the highest tax rates. I worked in Wayne Township school districts until the end of May and in general they are nice-there are bad places, but that is to be expected of all the different townships. Decatur and Warren are not as nice as some others, but there are nice places there as well. Pike is booming with lots of expansion. That's where we lived when we first moved here.<br><br>
It would be hard in my opinion to point out a particular township that would be "the best." You have to look at what you are looking for. All areas have access to shopping, etc. My best advice while visiting different areas is to go see things during the day and then go again at night. Sometimes you get a completely different picture when you see what's going on at night.<br><br>
I don't have a map of Indy in order to help out that much. I learned it by force. Come with an open mind and don't be afraid to move to one area of town and drive to other areas for certain things. I find that a lot of people are on one side of town or another and do not want to venture anywhere else. The problem with that is that you miss out on good things all over town. Good luck in your hunting!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info! i really have no problem driving to different places for work, shopping, etc. i drive all over the valley here and don't mind. grew up in hawaii on the north shore which was far from most things and grew up used to driving to get to places i wanted to go! i just really want somewhere safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello from indy,<br>
if you want good schools, i think washington township and lawrence township supposedly have the best. i live on the near northside near broad ripple village and like it well. you can email me for more info and a tour when you come visit!<br>
emily

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think Lawrence is really nice. They have good schools (including some good magnet schools--one is a Spanish Immersion school, and these are public schools). That's where I would live if we were moving to Indy (We're in Fishers but my husband works in town). For the most part I like being on the north side of town, but that's probably just because it's what I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts