Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a person gets a contact rash from certain foods, i.e. rash on hands from handling tomatoes, does that mean s/he is allergic to eating tomatoes?<br><br>
I ask because I have bad eczema and I can't touch a lot of veggies, seafood, some fruit without major skin flare-ups on my hands. I don't think I've ever noticed a rash around my mouth or any itching in my mouth or throat, except from walnuts, which I know I'm sensitive to.<br><br>
I should add that my skin is very easily irritated because it's often broken.<br><br>
Any insight?

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
do you suffer from indigestion? you could just be allergic to whatever is used on the veggies (i know most, if not all, store bought veggies have some sort of wax on them.)<br><br>
good luck.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No indigestion, and it even happens with organic veggies, so I'm not sure it's because of any pesticide/wax residue.<br><br>
Thanks for the input . . . anyone else have any insights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
according to our son's allergist certain fruits and veggies--like tomatoes, oranges--can cause a rash upon contact with skin because of their acidity (around the mouth and diaper).<br><br>
(btw, were the tomatoes you were on contact with whole or open? i think an acid related rash would only occur if they were cut open...)<br><br>
when i was little i ate so many tomatoes in one sitting that i developed a rash on my face, but no allergy, it didn;t happen again because my parents thereafter limited my intake!<br><br>
but again, this happened because i was in contact with the inside of tomatoes, if you are just touching whole tomatoes and developing a rash that is a different story

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My son gets eczema on his hands and feet only and the skin there cracks and bleeds. If I give him cod liver oil it gets better and goes away. If I stop giving him cod liver oil, the eczema comes right back. The change is very dramatic.<br><br><a href="http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailIndex.cfm?moduleID=8&moduleGroupID=183&groupIndex=0&numcols=0" target="_blank">Fingertip eczema</a>

·
Registered
23 Posts
My mom used to get a rash and sneeze like crazy from cutting up and washing raw potatoes, but she could eat them cooked with no trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts