Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boosters, Liners, Inserts, Doublers, the list goes on and i'm getting confused as to what is what. Can someon explain them all to me?

I get that liners are the layer that touches babys butt, the layer that gets poo'd on
But i'm confused about the others. Are boosters the same as doublers? Do i need inserts only for the pocket nappies, but can I use them as liners too etc?

It's been a long day, I have a new credit card and I want to spend money, but i'm confused about what I need to buy.

This week i've tried out fitted nappies and wraps and I like them and pocket nappies and I like them too. Think i'll mostly use pockets at night and will probably use them more that fitted nappies, just for convenience.

Can pocket nappies be stuffed with prefolds at night? I bought some prefolds to try them out too.

Sorry to ramble on like this, once I get started I tend to go

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
boosters are the same as doublers, some people prefer to call the boosters, it makes them sound super, LOL
you can use doublers, boosters, and inserts, usually all for the same thing, most inserts can be used as doublers
liners are usually fleece or silk or of a disposable/biodegradable material and can serve a few purposes, as a stay dry barrier and to make poo clean up easier

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
It can be pretty confusing. Page through the diapering forum. It has been a great help in cding my new guy!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It actually sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things, everything you said in your post was correct!
It is confusing, but once you get going you'll see that basically, if it absorbs liquid then it's a "diaper", and if it doesn't it's a "cover", or useless!
: You can indeed use PFs inside a pocket, you'll just want to get infant size PFS, otherwise they'll be really long. Doublers are good to have around, you can use them laid in a cover in a pinch if you run out of dipes, or whatever. And really, a very good way to do this is to order a little of everything - I didn't want to do that at first because I thought it would be a waste of money, but you don't sound like money is absolutely critical, and plus you can totally sell whatever you don't like. It's okay to start slow, and maybe only have one day's worth of dipes or less for awhile. Figure out what you like, and then go nuts!
And remember, cloth can be as simple or as complicated as you want. I have never changed my system, I use PFs and wool all the time. That's it! Easy as pie, and cheap too! Good luck mama, just jump in and I promise you'll get the hang of it and you'll be so glad you did!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I wouldn't worry about anything but the covers and the diapers. If you need doubler, you will know it. If you need liners, you will know it. I rarely use liners unless it's at night or I know he's going to be in a diaper longer then usual, and then I like to use silk liners. The diapers and covers are the most important part of diapering, everything else just makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic, thanks for all your help. Once I find out how much customs will charge me, I can order my dozen Fuzzi Bunz from the US - they come with insets.

Then all i'll need will be some more liners, a diaper bucket and i'm good to go

None of DS clothes fit his butt now though - oops!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Who ever is sending you your order may be able to mark it as a gift. Just ask. Ask if they would mark it as a gift and also ask them not to send a paper invoice with the order. That way you won't be charged customs fees. Some will do this and some won't. I have never had any problems with a package marked as a gift, it just goes straight through.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd feel kinda bad about asking them to do that, and i'm sure they have started catching people trying to avoid customs that way.

I think i'll still save a bundle on the cost of buying them over here though, even with customs charges!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.