Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on confusional arousal (night terrors-parasomnia). My dd will be 4 in Dec, she was born very early at 26 weeks and she *seems* to be pretty much *normal* for a 3-4 yo. However, she has frequent episodes of confusional arousal where she will appear to wake from sleep and go into a long screaming/kicking session. I cannot communicate w/her during these times because she isn't truly awake so I can't console her or bring her out of it until it's over. Sometimes I have to put her on my bed because she's kicking me too hard and my holding her really isn't helping. It is very scary. Well, she has been accomplishing a lot of things over the past 2 weeks but w/new experiences comes frustration (for any child) and I'm concerned because she's started having tantrums that are resembling almost the confusional arousal state. She has always been prone to tantrums but I used to be able to cajole her out of them. Today she had one and I couldn't "seem to make contact" with her.<br><br>
My eldest child has asperger's and my middle child is probably on the spectrum so I guess I'm wondering if this is sounding like autism? My eldest child had confusional arousals when she was very young but I'm pretty sure she didn't have them past 2 yo.<br><br>
Anybody btdt? Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
You would see other things (communication issues for example) in kids with autism at four years old.<br><br>
But I am worried about not being able to contact her/an awake daytime state that seemed like a confusional arousal. Could she have been having a seizure? I don't know a lot about seizures except that they present in a variety of ways.<br><br>
I don't know, though, if you mean she just couldn't be calmed. My kid has wicked meltdown rage type things and he doesn't come out of it easily once he's there but he's "present" and aware for lack of a better way to put it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My child was having severe night terrors and after having an mri and a 24 eeg it was discovered that he has a seizure disorder. I would get an appointment with a neuro.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you both for your replies. I wondered also about seizures but she was given an MRI in her first yr along w/eeg. The MRI was looking for brain abnormalities related to extreme prematurity (she appeared not to respond to sound very early on and she seemed to have staring episodes). The MRI came back fine and she was soon thereafter responding to sound and the staring episodes went away. The EEG showed nothing....it only took an hr or so, so I don't know how this relates to a 24eeg?<br><br>
SBgrace: I know what you mean about the tantrums-with-no-end....the weird thing was that when my dd had a strange tantrum yesterday her face screwed up kind of the way she does during the CA and she seemed to be avoiding eye contact.<br><br><br>
Lilypie: If you don't mind my asking, how do you define severe? And were there any other symptoms? and how old was your child?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My son's night terrors would last more than an hour and occur very frequently. During the day he would have absence seizures (petit mal) and would just stare off into space for a minute or two and nothing could get him to snap out of it.<br><br>
More than likely you need to have a 24 hour, or longer, video eeg done. My son was admitted into the hospital and kept on camera for a little over 24 hours with the eeg on the whole time. They caught the seizure activity while he was sleeping.<br><br>
He was diagnosed last year when he was 4. He is now 5.<br><br>
My son also has autism and Tourette disorder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts