Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14374539/

Quote:
Slade Ryan Jindal arrived before the ambulance did at about 3:25 a.m. Jindal, coached over the phone by a nurse at the doctor's office, put the baby in the arms of his wife, Supriya, and tied off the umbilical cord with a shoestring.
My husband on the other hand would of freaked.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Sad they ended up at the hospital
And what's up with the tying the umbilical cord off with a shoestring
If you aren't cutting it, what is the point of tying it off. Ah the funny advice people get.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara
Sad they ended up at the hospital
And what's up with the tying the umbilical cord off with a shoestring
If you aren't cutting it, what is the point of tying it off. Ah the funny advice people get.

Don't you know that that's the way it's always been??? Never veer from the normal!
:

congrats to the congressman though.

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Almost everything about the way they reported this event makes me

He got to "play doctor" because everyone knows the doctor is the most important person in any birth.

My mom had an unplanned UC at home and was taken to the hospital as well. It was her tenth birth. I suspect she refused to be cheated out of a few days rest!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
Ugh- and they make it sound like some sort of medical emergency- needing "coaching" over the phone, ambulance on the way, etc.
Really? Maybe they are doing that nationally but he's been pretty calm and comical about the whole thing on the local news. It just seemed like one of those unexpected things and he was happy that their baby was healthy because their second had to have heart surgery soon after birth.

What is the national news saying? Cause he said that the only thing he asked about was what to do with the cord. In fact - didn't he say that "there wasn't enough time to even think about calling anyone"?

I can understand the worry that some would have if a homebirth isn't something that you were prepared for but I seriously don't see that coming from him.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I meant, just the fact that this made the news makes it seem like childbirth is a horribly dangerous event that shouldn't take place without medical professionals.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anuska
THis just isn't news imo.
:

UC's don't need to be in the news. it just sensationalizes the whole thing and people say "OMG, you did what?! how BRAVE...."

gimme a break...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
She had actually gone to the hospital three times in the previous days and they sent her home each time telling her the baby was no where near ready. In fact, she had just gone to her OB the day before with contractions. Just a little more gas for the fire for ya'll.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Shoot - with two other kids and a husband in politics AND living in New Orleans Post-k ........ I do.....I would run there.

I still think its a pretty cool story just because you don't hear about good non-mainstream (although it was an accident - thats still how the majority of the public sees it) things happening to people in the spot light. Usually its a drunken driving charge or something crazy.

But good for him - I like the guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.