Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time mom so maybe I am too worried about this, but sometimes I feel like I am really able to connect with my baby and sometimes I just feel blank. Last week I totally felt the baby's spirit and had a wonderful sense of being 'the two of us' but the last couple of days I just feel kind of empty. Now I am worrying that something is wrong with the baby. Ahh!! Plus, I think my hormones are kicking in a bit because I have been more emotional of late as well.<br><br>
I've read that the baby's soul is still comming and going at this stage (I am just over 15 weeks). Maybe the baby is back with Spirit right now and not fully in my body?<br><br>
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow (maybe that is making me worry?) and going to listen to the heartbeat, though I told myself last month that I wouldn't use dopplor again.<br><br>
Any help is appreciated!<br><br>
Oh- I'm also not sure if I've been feeling the baby move or not. I feel more a 'swimming' feeling or 'knocks' rather than fluttering.<br><br>
Thanks mama's!<br>
leigh

·
Registered
464 Posts
Swimming and knocks is how I felt my baby move at 15 weeks too last time. I feel it right now as well at 14 weeks.<br>
As far as connection goes, I get what you mean, I was 26 weeks before I was consistantly connected feeling with my baby last time, I feel even more disconnected than this time, maybe because I have no time to sit and relate to myself and the life within me while chasing around a super spunky 1 year old...<br>
The connection will come, I think what helps most is just relaxing and turning inside yourself....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">I'm going to the doctor tomorrow (maybe that is making me worry?) and going to listen to the heartbeat, though I told myself last month that I wouldn't use dopplor again.</td>
</tr></table></div>
My 2nd app't is next week and I am in the same situation. But I plan to tell my boss after the next app't, so I just want to hear the babe again before telling him.<br><br>
I can't feel baby yet, but I know its too early. I can't wait.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm glad some one else is feeling a little "empty". Honestly, I've found it a lot more difficult to 'bond' with this little being than I expected. Maybe I'm forcing the process and expecting too much? I'm very happy I'm pregnant and intensly looking forward to being a mother but it still doesn't feel very real to me. I'll be 16 weeks tomorrow. Maybe this is completely normal?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
im not connecting yet. physically i feel pregnant cause of the fatigue (which is starting to improve) but i just don't really <i>feel</i> pregnant, if ykwim. i think it has alot to do with the fact i was pregnant last year and it's not exciting anymore. that, and the fact that im still freaking out about having two so close together.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I didn't bond with my son until he was at least 6 weeks old. At this point, I'm not even thinking about a connection with the next one. It'll happen when it happens.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
This my third. I know how you feel. Sometimes I think 'oh yeah, I'm pregnant'. I feel swimming and knocks sometimes. I feel more connected as time goes on. I ove sitting at work and watching my belly move around.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know what you mean. With ds1 I had a relatively consistent on and off connection with him. If I started to freak out about anything I would concentrate on him and he'd send me a dream or kick noticeably or a particular song that I associated with him would come on the radio. He wasn't "present" all the time, but there was that connection. When he came out, he and I just got along from the start.<br><br>
With ds2 there were twins for the first five or six weeks and I got a few dreams then as well as one twins dream after the other twin was gone. Other than that, I got nothing. I knew there was a baby in there because I heard the heartbeat and later felt him kick, but there was no connection and no presence like there was with ds1. After a while I would actively try meditations and things to connect with him, but it was like hitting a brick wall. The only time I felt anything from him was a few days before he was born, but I was stupid and didn't figure out what he was trying to say until later. I still feel bad about that. When he was born he was not happy to be here. His birth was very similar to that of ds1 (unmedicated hospital birth), but he was scared and angry and just not happy. It took six or seven weeks for him to decide that we were okay people to live with. And I told him multiple times every day how glad we were to have him and how much we wanted him. I was afraid he might just go back if he didn't have a reason to stay. But once he decided he liked us, his cheerful outgoing personality came out things are good.<br><br>
With this baby I feel that connection again. Not all the time, but it's there and I am so thankful. I get the occasional dream and a feeling of the child being present from time to time. I'm really glad to be connecting with this one.<br><br>
So that's my experience. I think the in-and-out thing is completely normal, but obviously it can be okay even when that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am in the same boat, although I think it's a lot easier to connect once you're feeling regular movement and kicking. It is for me anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts