Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

We have formed a new yahoo group to discuss Consensual Living. It is non-punitive, non-coercion, NOT TCS. It is a small group, and by no means takes the place of MDC and all its forums, resources, and bounty of research, activism and information. But if you'd like to discuss parenting from a consent based approach, we'd love to have your input and questions. We also welcome parenting and partnering issues seeking to be addressed in a consensual manner to resolve conflicts.

Here is the list description:

Quote:
Consensual living is a process, a philosophy, a mindset by which we seek to live in harmony with our families and community. It involves finding mutually agreed upon solutions, where the needs of both parties are not only considered but addressed. Everyone's wants and needs are equally valid, regardless of age. Conflicting wants or needs are discussed and mutually agreeable solutions are created or negotiated which meet the underlying needs of all parties.

Beginners to this concept are welcome to join this list, living consensually is an ongoing process of discovery. We ask that you be open to or on the path toward living consensually. We hope to explore the issues by asking questions, and sharing our experiences. Parenting is a sensitive issue for many people but we are all here to practice this process, and can do so if the environment remains one of respect, compassion, exploration and understanding.

Here is the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Consensual-living

Pat

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we had some TCSers join and there are huge discussions in the archives (on the list) about this very issue. LOL The main issue is that consensual living doesn't have the judgement paradigm of failure and "doing it the right way", imo.

Come have a look or lurk.

Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
The main issue is that consensual living doesn't have the judgement paradigm of failure and "doing it the right way", imo.
And from the TCS perspective
learning happens by each of us continually judging what we think is more likely to be right, doing our best and making progress in our learning and helping our loved ones do the same.

CL appears to me to be relativistic .. whatever you'd like to be true is true as long as everyone agrees. I'm not able to make sense of that.

I think that's the main difference, and there are some overlapping areas as well. See for yourself

Luci
http://p075.ezboard.com/btcscommunity

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
That was 2006-this is 2015

Sounds like an interesting discussion.(ie the discussion on the differences between CL and TCS) I never read that part although I was on this yahoo group for awhile (which now seems to have become defunct)

I thought the TCSers were more judgmental of parents, and acted a bit like children's attorneys-ie children are right no matter what. Whereas CL looks at everyone's needs, and takes *everyone's* needs seriously.
However, i think the idea of taking children's needs seriously is an excellent start.

For some reason, it became unpopular, and TCSers werent allowed to post on the Unconditional Parenting websites.

There certainly was alot of drama about some interesting ideas back in 2006. Nowadays, there arent any interesting ideas...noones heard of CL, let alone TCS. You do get the occasional mention of unconditional parenting, but to me, that is only about one aspect of parenting-to praise or not to praise. (Ive only read the one book-"Unconditional Parenting", not the others)

I really enjoy hearing from people who have a consensual living approach to parenting. Glad to hear there are some of still around. Of course, it easier said that done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts