Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my twins will be 2 in august. we're considering going back to cloth and i was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations. i was a bit overwhelmed with the cloth diapering thread ~ one could spend days reading it all.

we tried cloth when they were born, but quite frankly, breastfeeding both of them was my main priority, and there just didn't seem enough time in the day to manage the extra work involved. now that they're weaned, i'm ready to give it another try ~ seems much more doable now, plus the poop isn't so liquid (gross~sorry).

i'm intrigued by fuzzi bunz but am open to all suggestions.

thanks in advance,

· Registered
517 Posts
I too am just going back to cloth. I cd'ed my toddler starting at about 13months, but around 19months we were having too many issues with our wash routine so I finally gave up (we had moved to a place with hard water, etc.).

Now that we've moved back to the old neighborhood (and hence no hard water issues), I decided to try it again. Now I also have a newborn (just turned a month old) to diaper too. I got a bunch of bumGenius One-Size pocket diapers figuring they could both use them, but after using them for about a month on my toddler I decided I don't like the fit on him, and they're too bulky to try on my newbie (tho maybe not, I didn't even try). So I got one small Fuzzi Bunz and it fits my newbie, so I just bought some more and am waiting for them to arrive. I used FB's when I was first cd'ing my toddler and loved them. I also bought one Petite Toddler FB to see if that size still fits him, and if so I'll be getting him more too.

Also, I've always gotten my FB's from www.fuzzibunzseconds.net and they've been awesome. They're technically 'second' quality, but I've never had an issue with them! (They don't come with inserts from there, tho.)

Just a word of caution: toddler poops make NASTY stains on cd's, so I highly recommend getting some flushable liners to stick in them when you're expecting a poo
I think Kushies and Imse Vimse make them, and I've heard great things about them

Best of luck!

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey erin~

yes, it's me, lynda...

thanks for your comments, i appreciate it. since i posted, i've talked to anna at the breast feeding center who gave me some advice as well as joanne at zannadu's info (she's in natick)...anyways, based on their recommendations, i went with the bumgenious. kyra & zephyn would have been in two different sizes in the other brands, which would have been a drag. i did order extra doublers for kyra as she's a heavier wetter than zephyn. sssoooo, i'm hoping that it works out.

i did the math...going cloth for 2 toddlers should save us about $1500 this year...not to mention, our landfill!

thanks again!
:

· Registered
10,944 Posts
I used Fuzzi Bunz and loved them.

Also Bum Genius now has a One Size diaper so that would save even more money because you don't have to keep buying bigger sizes as the child grows.

I buy diapers from ZANNADU ...she's a MA mom and I think she's a member on mdc.

She's having a FREE cloth diapering workshop on July 14th in Natick. It's listed on her website.

· Registered
4,914 Posts
I started this yesterday before your update.... but hey, maybe it will help out ...

I didn't have that many stains as long as I plopped it off into the toilet and did a rinse or short wash on cold first (no soap, and then a full wash with detergent and hot water)... but when my ds was going through a gross poop stage I admit, I sometimes switched to disposables when I thought he was going to have a poop.

Ah, nothing is tmi around here right??.... but my other solution to gross poops was an old spatula (this has since been tossed). I used an old large yogurt container, cut a slit in the lid that the spatula fit into and kept that hidden behind the toilet to do a poop scrape if needed. Swished the scraper in the toilet and put it back in to the yogurt container... occasionally filled that up with soapy mix of vinegar water etc. to clean.

Luckily, MOST of the time he had 'nice' easy poops that just rolled off the fleece leaving pretty much nothing behind. The fuzzibunz were nice for this.

You could also just try going right for naked time & potty learning.. with twins... at 2. Yeah probably crazy, but that could save a lot of money too.

BTW, I do have a stash from when Josh was 2 that we are not using if you want to see or try some different types out.

Jessica

· Registered
381 Posts
I am so glad that you are trying bum genius diapers. We love them around here and have used them from about 4 months until now (13 months). I have also been putting my son on the toilet whenever I know that he is about to do a BM and have "caught" almost all of them for the past few weeks. Dealing with cloth WITHOUT the poopy ones is soooo much easier.

Good luck!!

· Registered
124 Posts
We use Fuzzi Bunz and they work well. Our preference, though, is wool covers with prefolds. For us the Bum Genius did not work well because my daughter kept getting rashes from the microsuede. She does better in the soft microfleece or the prefolds. They were a nice fit though. When we started, we tried one of each of the different styles (pockets, prefolds, all in one, etc) and then decided our favorites. Then we looked at the different brands to see what fit the best.

Let me know if you have any questions.

· Registered
10,944 Posts
A reminder: Joanne from Zannadu is having a FREE cloth diapering workshop on Saturday, July 14th. You will get to see many different diapers. It's a great way to decide what to use or to see what's new.

Check her website to 'sign up' for the workshop. Zannadu

· Registered
265 Posts
I really love my fuzzibunz. I am less than impressed with my bumGenius (v. 1). They're pretty poorly made in my opinion, and definitely won't last more than one kid, so there goes the idea of savings.
My son is a side-sleeper so we were having issues with leaks, but I found a way to fit a microfiber towel by the snaps so no more side leaks.
However, I am having a friend knit me a wook soaker and I am buying some Motherease Sandys for nighttime use.
Oh, and I love Joanne and Zannadu - she's the best!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts