Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My midwife is really cool, and is fine with me not doing the GBS test. But I was thinking, would it be a good idea to get it done so that I have a negative on record in case I need to transfer? That could avoid unnecessary antibiotics.

There is that chance that I would test positive. And I've read that once you test positive, you're considered positive for all future pregnancies. So that would really suck. But couldn't she and I just keep the test results secret if I did test positive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
As I understand it protocol is no longer "once a positive, always a positive." You are correct in that if you transfer they will automatically assume you a positive. As far as whether or not to test I say dig in and do some studying of your own. The Gentle Birth site and Midwifery Today both have large databases of info on this subject. After the research we have decided to test however I am doing some things to increase the chances of a positive test; ie garlic, acidopholus, propolis, echinicea and vit C. My mw doesn't care either way, but it is not something I am comfortable ignoring as the consequences can be very serious. If I end up positive I believe I will be continuing my self-care protocol and using the hibiclens wash at birth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Certainly you don't have to have the records she keeps transfered to any other furture care provider. And yes, if you transfer with no testing they'll assume a positive and really push for antibiotics. I tested for GBS in my last pregnancy to have results on file in case of transfer. And I did end up transfering and was glad I had opted for testing - it was one less hassle at the hospital, lol. In the event of positive testing - I'd also want to be aware of it, although I'd still refuse antibiotics for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,846 Posts
I tested positive for both pregnancies & I didn't feel comfortable without antibiotics at birth (I went over 24 hours with waters broken on both babies). I did my research & felt comfortable with my decision. Do research & get comfortable with whatever decision you make. My hospital birth I was on continous IV & my homebirth I had an IV with an immediate removal when the dose was complete (less than 15 mintues).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,770 Posts
I tested for that reason - to be able to refuse abx in case of a transfer (and not have them automatically hold my baby for observation or push drugs on my baby).

I did everything possible to ensure a negative result, though, including Hibiclens douches and asking my MW to do separate cultures for vagina and rectum. I figured, I know which hole the baby is coming out of!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
our midwife has said that now she doesn't really do iv antibiotics anymore, that if you are positive and there is concern, she can do a hipa-cleanse (sp?) which is like a cleansing douche. You may want to talk to your midwife and see if there are ways around antibiotics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
i tested positive first time, a hospital birth with OBs. my understanding from them was that i would only be considered automatically positive for future births is if my DS had contracted GBS.

this time i am doing a homebirth, and considering testing, but not doing antibiotics or hibicleanse. i'm concerned about both approaches wiping out the good bacteria i think my baby needs to get on the way down the birth canal! but i'm a little scared about just waiting to see if my baby contracts GBS... although from the looks of it i'm having a good sized full-term baby by this point (i'm 36 weeks, pretty big baby in there, and no signs of anything happening yet).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
I refused the test last pregnancy and will probably do so this time. I considered doing a hibiclens wash and douche in labor, but there were other things on my mind. I didn't worry about if I had to transfer, and I didn't have to either. Hopefully this time will be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
I'm taking the test in case we need to transfer. I will do my best to make sure i pass it, but the last thing i want is to argue about antibiotics if we are forced to go in. I've already learned that its hard, if not impossible, to have them respect my wishes at our hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
I personally am doing it for that reason. Not so much to avoid antibiotics in the event of a transfer, but to avoid them putting the baby in the NICU to give HIM antibiotics and us being separated. My first was in the NICU and Il'l do anything to avoid that again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
My MW and I just had a long discussion on whether to do it or not. She wants me to ("she has to practice the same standard of care as OBs in the area, due to the attitude toward mws", i understand that). I don't want the test. After I assured her it wasn't because I didn't like the swab part of the test (come on, you have your hand up there once a year, why would a swab bother me??? hello... anyway). I asked questions, like:

-How would her care plan for me differ if I was positive? She said she would do everything she could to make sure, if the membranes hadn't broken, to keep them that way as long as possible. She would also manage the time since water broken a little differently, once it was broken she would do more to get the baby delivered quickly.
-In what instance would she want me to have the abx? If I have the risk factors (water broken 24 hrs, fever, etc) she will want to.
-How does the hospital treat a positive or a no test in the case of transfer? The hospital treats them the same, they do a CBC on the baby if no antibiotics are given. The only thing I haven't asked is if they take the baby away right away, or if they give time first. I need to ask that next visit.
-Will she do a retest if positive? She said she would work with me to get rid of the gbs and retest several times if necessary.
-What can I do to ensure a negative result? She gave several suggestions to boost immune system, etc.

I haven't decided yet. She will allow me to say no, w/ a letter in my file. She is a big anti-antibiotc person, so understands why I don't want them. I have had abx a total of twice in my life, I don't want them for a 'just in case' thing, and especially don't want my baby to have them 'just in case', when the risk of anything bad happening is very low. She understands the risk of allergic reaction, thrush, all that. So, I have to decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
My midwife gave me the choice of whether to be tested or not. But since I have tested positive for GBS in the past for a urinary tract infection, my husband and I made the decision to go ahead with the test. I ended up testing postitive. So then my midwife gave some different treatment options: IV during labor, oral abx in the last couple weeks of pregnancy, or a probiotics & hibaclense regime. We chose the oral abx and I took it for the last 2 weeks of my pregnacy.

The important thing here is that we were given choices, and were able to do research to figure out what was best for us and our baby. You have to do what you feel comfortable with and be confident in your decision.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
When I was pregnant with my daughter I tested GBS positive. I didn't want antibiotics. They were not offered at home (still not sure why) and I definitely didn't want to go to the hospital for them. My midwife had advised me that it probably wouldn't be a big problem unless my water broke early, and that we would cross that bridge if we got to it.

Guess what? We crossed the bridge. At around 19 hours post membrane rupture, with labour at that point in full swing, I developed a fever. By this time I'd had probably 6 or 8 internal exams, which is the likely cause of the infection. Baby started showing signs of distress and my temp was over 103F. We were forced into a c-section situation when my daughter's heartrate got up around 180 bpm and was non-reassuring. Fortunately she was fine in the end, but I ended up in the hospital for three days on IV antibiotics. And of course we didn't know that she was fine at first, so she was whisked away to the nursery for observation. I was "allowed" to hold her briefly about an hour after her birth, and did not get a chance to try to nurse until about six hours later. This, I believe, was the start of breastfeeding problems that would not be overcome for many weeks.

Next time I would definitely do the GBS test, but I would probably still decline the antibiotics unless I was in another PROM situation. In that case I would probably take them. I am convinced that my c-section could have been avoided if I'd had the antibiotics earlier. Live and learn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie_7773 View Post
At around 19 hours post membrane rupture, with labour at that point in full swing, I developed a fever. By this time I'd had probably 6 or 8 internal exams, which is the likely cause of the infection.
Glad you and the baby are fine! But this does point out the very problem- GBS or not, there should be no internal exams after membrane rupture.

-Angela
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top